Amber Ale - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
Well, I have volunteered to donate the beer for a large crawfish boil for the last week of April. I will be bringing a keg of Cream Ale, Nut Browne Ale and my staff is requesting an Amber Ale (meaning something with a realitive low hop rate).

I am looking for any recommendation on a kit or recipe that I can brew up next weekend and be ready for the last week in April. It will be kegged.

They are all telling me that something similar to Michelob Amber Bock or Abita Amber would be good.

You might give a Red Tail Ale clone a try. Not overwhelming. Here's a recipe from BYO.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Red Tail Ale Clone

Here is an Abita Amber clone. It is a lager, but you could probably use a Kolsch, Alt, or clean American yeast strain. I think you could make this an all extract recipe very easily. Also, I am not sure where you order your ingredients but this might work well: Austin Homebrew Supply

8 oz. US Crystal 40L
4 oz. Munich malt
1 oz. US chocolate malt
2.25 lb American 2-Row malt
4 lb pale liquid malt extract
1/3 oz. Chinook Hops
1/4 oz. Perle Hops
1/4 oz. Crystal Hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1.25 cups of ultra light dry malt extract
Wyeast 2308
Water to taste

Mash all malts and specialty grains at 150F for 90 minutes.
Bring brewpot to boil
Sparge with 1/2 gallon of 150F water and add sparge water to brewpot.
Bring water to a boil, remove from the heat and add: Malt Extract Syrup, Chinook Hops and enough water to bring total volume to 2.5 gallons

Boil for 45 minutes, then add: Crystal Hops and Irish Moss
Boil for 10 minutes, then add: Perle Hops
Boil for 5 minutes, then remove brewpot from heat.

Cool wort, then strain into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons total volume.

Pitch yeast at 65F and keep at 60-62F until fermentation starts

2308 - 47-52F for 4 weeks then 57-62F for remainder of fermentation
2206 - 47-52F for entire time

Ferment 7 days or until fermentation slows
Rack and keep in secondary fermenter for 5 weeks.

Priming
1.25 cup of Light DME in two cups of boiled water

Well, I have decided to change the line up a little.

I decided to make Ed Haus Pale Ale, Beirmuncher Cream Ale and his Octoberfast Ale. I moved the crawfish boil back to May, that will give the beer 2 monthes of cold conditioning in the kegs.

I will definitely give that Abita Amber clone a try as I have 4 extra kegs lying around empty.

Back