secondary ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowpinky

Reaction score
Hi i've been advised to leave my brew in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks for taste and clarity but have read that i need to get my brew out of the fermenter after the initial 4-6 days ferment as the yeast has finished and is now going to start to decompose...
Its been in the fermenter now for 12 days so should i put it into a secondary fermenter for the remainder of the time...i'm then going to bottle..cheers..

Still pretty jr here myself, but from what i read and gathered, what you have described might be old school thinking. Many people on this board myself included have left their beer in primary for 3 weeks plus with no sign of ill effects. I've also heard people say that leaving it in the primary allows the yeast to "eat" longer, and eat the potential bad flavors. I cant speak to the truth of such a statement but i think you are safe leaving your beer in the primary for a while yet.

Ahh ok,i'll leave it a while longer,also i took a hydrometer reading at og of 1.044 and then yesterday day 11 it was 1.018...the beer should be 4.7abv but that only gives me 3.4 which if thats the case is annoying because i like beer over 5.0abv as a rule...i'm prob best not to take readings i guess..

Back