Holy Brewhouse Efficiency! v.1st Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimer

Reaction score
So I tried my first ever Partial Mash yesterday with my DunkelWeiss Experiment.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 20 min] Extract 40.82 %
3.30 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 33.67 %
1.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.76 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.55 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
2.00 gal Poland Spring (R) Water
3.02 gal All Westmont Water Water
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Wheat

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Add 3.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

This is what I'm Planning for the Secondary
Control in the experiment is to have the primary fermentation be carried out as usual.

Secondary Fermentation will include splitting the batches into 1.75 Gallon increments.
#1 Control
#2 1.5# Pomegranate
#3 1.5# Mixed Berry

So anyway, I got a OG reading of 1.076! I could not believe it. No one taught me how to sparge or anything. I put all the stuff in two grain bags and shoved it into the oven for an hour, mixing the bags every 1/2 hour. I hope no off flavors come of it.

Problems:
I harvested my Weisenstephan from a previous brew and since I didn't have anything else to store it in, I stored it in a sanitized mason jar. I thought that I had my ingredient fridge warm enough to put it in the freezer part of it and partially froze it. Damn! I made a starter and saw minimal fermentation so I thought that it might be alright to pitch. I was worried at first but just looked downstairs and saw the beginning of a krausen. I hope there's enough viable cells to eat all of that wort.

What do you think of the recipe?

Isnt it pretty easy to have a high eff. when you are using almost ALL extract? I mean you only had 2.5 pounds of steeping grains. Even if you had nothing extracted from the grains, you'd have had pretty good eff. technically.

efficiency isn't calculated with extract. you get what you get. with a partial mash, you should only calculate efficiency from the grains.

it's also very easy to get a misreading with extract and according to promash, it is impossible for you to get 1.076, assuming this was a 5 gallon batch.

i'd say you got a bad reading and it was probably something closer to 1.066.

I used Beersmith to calculate everything out and it said the OG was estimated to be 1.062. I did test it twice and got a 1. 78 and a 1.074 so I averaged the two.

Still, it's going to be a strong beer.

The batch was 5.25 so its even more impossible.

If you want to find out your grain extract efficiency, you need to subtract the known PPG from the LME first because its effiency is always 100% and skews the results badly.

Back