Wrong yeast... Oh no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I have had a great brew day, until my brothers brother inlaw acted a fool and had to give him a lesson in respect and whos a meaner mofo... I was still a little worked up and I grabbed the wrong yeast... I was gonna use US-05 and I grabbed wine yeast that was in the same color package sitting next to the correct yeast, it was montrachet red star... Any idea what im gonna end up with?

I suspect you will end up with beer. If it turns out good you might have found a new style. I did a dark ale that was damn good and I brewed it again with saison yeast and it was even better. I bet you might find there same thing happens. :mug:

US-05 is in a light red package. Red Star Montrachet is in a darker red package. Your brother's brother in law must have knocked out your ability to perceive color.

To answer your question...it won't be very good. Wine yeasts have difficulty fermenting some of the more complex sugars that beer yeasts have evolved to handle.

Oh he was crying for his momma and wanting to go home, after he woke up, it was a bad night, he threatened to shoot my brother infront of me, and I walked out side with a fire arm, and he about soiled him self, and eventually just walked down the street crying, best part he keep on saying he was gonna kill my brother and sister after he got home(hes staying with them or was) they locked him outside and the neighbor called the police and he was arrested... But over all good brew day except I fudged up and added wine yeast instead of ale yeast... So kind of an experimental brew going in now

So what you're saying is that the half of your family which hasn't been on COPS has been on Springer?

Yeah, thats what I felt like...

In this day and age, anyone spouting off like that needs to be arrested.

Back in the day you might pass it off as a person letting off some steam. Not today, unfortunately.

Call your beer with wine yeast "Crybaby Ale" or something suitable for the situation.

To answer your question...it won't be very good. Wine yeasts have difficulty fermenting some of the more complex sugars that beer yeasts have evolved to handle.

So couldn't he go ahead and pitch the US05 so that will handle those complex sugars that the wine yeast can't get?

No it wasnt my family, it was my brothers wifes family, and springer wouldnt even take them...

Aren't most wine yeasts ultra aggressive against other yeasts? I believe they've been bred that way to out do any wild yeasts that may be present on the fruits. Don't know if repitching ale yeast will help much. I could be wrong though, its only what I read...

What style is it? I might be inclined to add some wine must and make it a hybrid.

I wouldn't pitch an ale yeast afterwards unless you know that the wine yeast isn't a killer strain.

Its a simple pale ale, im gonna drink it unless.it's completely disgusting, im hoping its gonna be like a really weak barley wine lol

Oh he was crying for his momma and wanting to go home, after he woke up, it was a bad night, he threatened to shoot my brother infront of me, and I walked out side with a fire arm, and he about soiled him self, and eventually just walked down the street crying, best part he keep on saying he was gonna kill my brother and sister after he got home(hes staying with them or was) they locked him outside and the neighbor called the police and he was arrested... But over all good brew day except I fudged up and added wine yeast instead of ale yeast... So kind of an experimental brew going in now

What a wacko!!! Too much TV, and probably drugs or alcohol...... I'll be 60 in 3 months, and have NEVER heard anybody threaten to shoot anybody else...... NEVER. Where I live everybody has a house full of guns, and nobody ever threatens anybody else....... I only have 8 that I can think of at the moment....... But we live in the REAL world. I rarely go anywhere without a loaded weapon... at least in a vehicle. I kill things all the time... it's a rural area. Coyotes, Coons, Skunks, rattlers, pigeons, cottontail rabbits (eat my hops) etc. If I heard ANYBODY threaten to shoot anybody, I'd call the sheriff immediately.... He may not mean it, but he definitely needs help! *Guns are for varmints and game.........

H.W.

Yeah, that was a first for me, and thats all I use mine for is hunting and keeping it in the car. Yeah, guy has a drug/alcohol/ anger problem...

or perhaps let the wine yeast do it's thing,
then when it's done what it can, pitch the S-05
to take on what the wine yeast couldn't.

I'm interested to see how it turns out...like someone said above it could be a hybrid or new style. Good luck with the crazy extended family member!

Well note to self don't ever invite him back when you're brewing. Maybe rouse the 05 in some boiled and cooled water and pitch that too just to be safe. Depending on your og it may clean up what the other yeast doesn't.

Wine yeasts will suppress beer yeasts......... There was an article about it on the net somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. As I recollect, there is only one wine yeast that will co-exist with beer yeasts "peacefully"......... I tried it at one point and it worked fine. I don't recall what wine yeast that was............ It gave the beer a slightly different character.

H.W.

Wine yeasts will suppress beer yeasts......... There was an article about it on the net somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. As I recollect, there is only one wine yeast that will co-exist with beer yeasts "peacefully"......... I tried it at one point and it worked fine. I don't recall what wine yeast that was............ It gave the beer a slightly different character.

H.W.

There are a few of them, and to anyone who is interested there is a very interesting BN podcast about that subject here.

H.W.

I think it's D-47 thats not "killer". But I'm not positive.

EC-1118 a non killer????????
You certain of this?
Even if it is a `non killer` i would assume it would `out perform` so many other yeast strains that they couldn't really do anything/survive.....but i've not tested this so only a theory.

The "non-killers" are 71B, 1118, 1116(k1B), GRE, BM45 if my notes serve me correctly.

Ahh, 71B is what I was thinking of. Damn, good call!

However, 1116 was one of the first killer strains identified, and I thought 1118 was a killer strain too?

EC-1118 a non killer????????
You certain of this?
Even if it is a `non killer` i would assume it would `out perform` so many other yeast strains that they couldn't really do anything/survive.....but i've not tested this so only a theory.

Those are from my notes of the podcast I linked above, check it out, make up your own mind :)

Some of these could be finishing strains I suppose. I only have my quick notes here on my phone, my notebook with the better notes is at work. I might just re listen to it and find out now, it's a great episode.

Ok, to correct myself- only 71B is not "killer" ( that's what I get for not having my full notes here, sorry!) all others are killer and all beer yeast (for all intensive purposes) is "susceptible" meaning that in a kill or be killed world... They die. The other 4 (as well as L2226) can be used as finishing yeasts, to eat up remaining sugars to dry out a beer a bit more and to add some pretty nifty esters that might be hard to replicate otherwise.

I apologize for my bad information earlier, but I am happy I got to brush up on some of that episode, very informative!

The beer actually turned out decent, not good by any means but not a total loss... Clearer than picture frosty glass, but head retention is lacking as it finished very very low 1.006, so its thin

A different note I dont think I like the falconers flight 7C's hops... Every beer ive done hasnt been that great, maybe ill dry hop and not ise it as bittering next time

View attachment 1440736199784.jpg

Back