Making my first batch tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kehanra99

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be the first time I make my homebrew! I bought ingredients to make a Belgian Wheat Beer. Anything specific to look out for on the first day?

Use your hydrometer.
WRITE STUFF DOWN.
Stay sober for the first brew, you'll learn to brew drunk later...

It'll be impossible to answer your next question (which will be: "is my beer ruined") without knowing what you did.

Oh, and leave it in the primary 7-10 days. I don't care if your airlock stops bubbling or the recipe says 3-5 days. 7-10, then start taking readings with your hydrometer.

If you don't have a hydrometer, go get one.

Try not to sneeze in your beer after it's cool, but it's all right if it's still boiling.

Don't think about trying late extract method without knowing what late extract method is.

Don't post asking about late extract unless you've searched and already know what late extract is.

Belgian beer is good. Use spices in moderation.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew (or in your case, a good quality micro)!

Remember to always sanitize anything that touches the cooled wort/beer

When the wort comes to a boil it WILL boil over unless you watch it and lower the heat or remove the pot from the burner. Once it has been boiling for awhile it threat of a boil over is reduced.

Be sure to throughly stir your wort after you add the top off water, Many folks get inaccurate hydrometer readings because the denser wort isn't mixed well and settles to the bottom.

Good luck!:mug:

+1 on boil overs. Don't leave the pot until it starts boiling. Stabalize the boil and when you add the hops, get ready! It sometimes wants to boil over again.

kehanra99 said:
...Anything specific to look out for on the first day?
Congratulations on your plunge....
1) Your wife will ***** about the smell
2) Your pot will boil over...can't avoid it...just be prepared.
3) You will develop a slight woody during the brewing process. Don't be embarrased
4) Adding hops to the wort will result in a brief, but violent boilover episode.
5) Sipping a craft brew during the process is extremely pleasurable.
6) Never forget that you are in the process of BREWING YOUR OWN BEER.

BierMuncher said:
3) You will develop a light woody during the brewing process. Don't be embarrased
:eek: :rolleyes:

+1 on keeping a journal. You can find a few outlines online for what you want to keep in it. You'll be glad you did when you have to troubleshoot a bad beer, or recreate a kickass one. :mug:

Edit: Oh and BierMuncher, I LOL'ed, cause it's true.

A few days down the road:

Yes, Belgian Wheats smell like that while fermenting.

+2 on the journal. My former brewing buddy only wrote down the grain bill, never the hops or yeasts! I've been trying to do a few of batches in his memory, but it ain't easy.

Back