Cider, Winey Off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
I know, I know,give it time, RDWHAHB. But......brewed a Franziskaner clone from AHS, extract with steeping grains. Full Boil, adjusted hops as per beersmith. Here it goes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 94.9 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
0.13 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
0.62 oz Hallertauer [3.20%] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.16 oz Pearle [7.80%] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.16 oz Select Spalt [3.20%] (15 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.10 oz Pearle [8.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.1 IBU
0.10 oz Select Spalt [3.20%] (1 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
5.00 gal New York, NY Water
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %
Bitterness: 10.1 IBU Calories: 204 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.2 SRM

Carbonation

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 3.0
Pressure/Weight: 5.9 oz

First, only used single stage ferm but there was 3-5 degree differential after 1st 5 days of fermentation (HIGH 72, low 66 on therm strip). utilized primary for 14 days. Brew date 10/26. Bottle date 11/9- directions are to let condition 3 weeks. Also, OG seemed to be a bit off- was supposed to get 1.055 and only seemed to get 1.046

Again I know, i bottled it on the 9th and am trying it on the 14th, not much patience. Really just wantred to see how it was coming along. only my second batch and the first (stout) is still conditioning. I also saw that hefe's are better young anyway. Carbonation was strong considering it was only 5 days. I am figuring i was a little high on carbonation which places the style at 2.4-2.9 and i shot for 3.0. Taste is somewhat cidery or winey. ( i see that over use of priming sugar can lead to this). the wheat characteristics are there in the backround. Any thoughts, I guess i'm just looking for assurances. What are the chances of a problem or that this is the taste?? Also, any chances of that usual "chewy" wheat feel and taste developing as it conditions??
:tank: :mug: :rockin:

usually its too much sugar added to a cheap extract kit that causes the cidery flavor, not priming sugar. too much priming sugar makes your bottles explode ;)

with no secondary, this is a really young beer...give it time. I would ask though, at what temperature did you steep those grains? were you careful not to let the water exceed 170F? (really 160F is plenty for steeping grains) too hot can cause tannin extraction...an astringent flavor that is normal for wine...but unwanted in beer (grape skins contain tannins).

also, let the bottle chill a good 48 hours before you open it. it takes a while for CO2 to properly dissolve into the beer once the beer is cold.

as far as the 'chewy' wheat feel, I wouldn't bank on that with an extract based brew. you just don't know how they made the extract.
one advantage of all grain brewing is that you can control the mouthfeel and body of the beer...not to mention every other aspect.

give it time, the cider may disappear.

even if yer thermometer was off a bit, if you didn't see it hit 160F I too doubt you could have exceeded 170F. plus its both a high temp and wrong pH needed to really pull out the tannins.

Give it another 2 weeks before you pass any further judgment :)

Back