American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude is in the military and moved to Germany in January for a 2 or 3 year long stay.

His activity on the forum had fallen off drastically before he moved, and I don't expect it to pick up speed anytime soon.

Dude is in the military and moved to Germany in January for a 2 or 3 year long stay.

His activity on the forum had fallen off drastically before he moved, and I don't expect it to pick up speed anytime soon.

ah, thanks, no wonder he hasnt been responding to messages.

I took couple months off from brewing due to getting married but this weekend I'm making my return.

To celebrate the long weekend for the 4th me and a brewing buddy are going to brew 2 beers back to back on Saturday, each picking a recipe. I chose to brew LWPA however I'm adding a slight twist - I want to use some of the Citra hops I have on hand (haven't brewed with them yet). So I was thinking of the following:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 11.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Toasted Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

0.75 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min)
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min)
0.75 oz Citra [5.00 %] (5 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (5 min)

0.75 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.75 oz Citra [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)

Mash @ 152.0 F

I dropped the Simcoe and Amarillo aroma and dry hop additions a bit to make room for the Citra as well as added an extra 8oz. to make up for my lower efficiency (my BK is a bit small, which reduces sparge size, which lowers eff.)

Any feedback or suggestions?

This thing fermented like a champ, airlock stopped bubbling after 4 days. I used Nottingham yeast and the FG is 1.013. The sample from the wine thief tasted great, lots of fruity flavors going on compliments of the Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo combo. Will probably transfer this to secondary after 10 days in primary, and dry hop for an additional 10 days then bottle.

Dude, I know you aren't active much but if you ever check this thread again, just wanted to say thanks for the recipe.

I made an extract version using 3 lbs pilsner DME at the start of the boil and 3 lbs 3 oz pilsner DME at flameout. Steeping grains were 1 lb victory and 0.5 lbs crystal 60. I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale with a 1 pint starter and the same hop schedule.

Fermented 18 days in primary @ 62-64 and 3 weeks in secondary same temp. Dry hopped 1 week in keg as per the recipe. Clear, delicious lightly grapefruit flavored session ale SG 1.014. I hate the taste of actual grapefruit, but this was amazing.

I made this as my third AG batch last weekend with the home toasted malts and 1056 again. Definitely a beer to be made over and over. Can't wait to taste the AG version.

We've been brewing LWPA for about a year and it is a house favorite. We've used Wyeast 1968 because we are able to get slurry from a local brewery. I've always fermented at about 63-64 degrees to keep the yeast esthers in check. The beer has had a very nice malt presence and the hops really seemed to shine. Recently, I was forced to substitute S05 and it was a totally different beer. Less malt presence as would be expected, and it seemed that the flavors from the yeast masked some of the hop flavor. We're brewing this again tomorrow with 1968 to get our "old" Lake Walk back. So, give 1968 a try sometime for your LWPA. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm finally tasting my recipe that's tweaked to add Citra above. Bottom line - don't add Citra to this recipe. To me Citra tastes terrible. Lots of people mention juicy, pineapple, and citrus flavors with this hop. I don't get any of that at all - all I get is apricot/peaches (and I hate both of those fruits). Oh well, at least the wife likes this one.

I'm going to rebrew soon with just Simcoe and Amarillo.

So this is a newb question but do you have to change the amounts if you are using pellets instead of leaf hops? Is the recipe as it is posted now for pellet or leaf hops?

Thanks

Brewed up 5g yesterday - used Maris Otter and WLP001 - California Ale Yeast. Hop schedule the same - used pellets. Hit OG of 1.056 into fermenter, currently a very nice 2" layer of krausen. Great color, great taste, really looking forward to dipping into this one. Going to be a fantastic November this year.

So this is a newb question but do you have to change the amounts if you are using pellets instead of leaf hops? Is the recipe as it is posted now for pellet or leaf hops?

Thanks
I think Dude used pellets. I used whole hops (same amounts). Dude tasted my batch and really liked it (even wondering out loud if I'd beat him with his own recipe).

I never adjust hops for pellet vs whole, and I've always been happy with the results.

If I were to make it again, I'd use pellet (it's a hop forward beer, and pellets give up their goodness a bit more readily than whole hops).

I brewed this yesterday with whole hops and Victory instead of toasted to save some time. Smelled and taste delicious - I am excited for this one!

This has become my house pale ale for me.

Last night I amped up the grain bill to push it into IPA category to enter into a "Monster beer" (OG 1.0666 and above) contest we have here at end of month

10.75 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs special roast
.75 flaked wheat
.5 crystal 60

OG should be 1.075. Color is a bit dark but... I'll probably toast 3 lbs of the 2 row.

I'm also going to try the new Wyeast Greenbelt yeast at Austin Homebrew

How long grain to glass do most people go for on this recipe? On the original recipe it says ten days primary and ten secondary. I am wondering how good it is if you keg and carb at 20 days and drink it around 25? Is it still a little green then?

This has become my house pale ale for me.

Last night I amped up the grain bill to push it into IPA category to enter into a "Monster beer" (OG 1.0666 and above) contest we have here at end of month

10.75 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs special roast
.75 flaked wheat
.5 crystal 60

OG should be 1.075. Color is a bit dark but... I'll probably toast 3 lbs of the 2 row.

I'm also going to try the new Wyeast Greenbelt yeast at Austin Homebrew

Seems like wayyy too much special roast to me, especially with another 1/2 pound of Crystal and the possibility of toasting 3 pounds of the 2 row.

Seems like wayyy too much special roast to me, especially with another 1/2 pound of Crystal and the possibility of toasting 3 pounds of the 2 row.

I kept the same proportions, think I should cut back and go with more 2 row?

Same grain bill proportions as original recipe, I just upped all the amounts

Original recipe special roast is 18%

Is special roast and toasted 2 row the same though? The original recipe doesn't call for special roast it calls for toasted 2 row...

well thats my Homer moment, I must have put special roast in my beersmith to designate the toasted 2 row

D'oh!!

After 22 long days I just completed racking to secondary and adding my dry hop additions. I didn't have full oz's of simcoe or amarillo left so I used .3 amarillo .4 simcoe and .8 centennial ... all pellets. Planning on letting it sit until Saturday (6 days) then kegging.

My OG was dead on and I got it down to 1.011. Extremely clear, very nice pale color, and LOADS of wonderful hop flavor. This is easily going to be my best beer yet and like many of you will become a regular in the rotation. Wow!

:mug:

Brewed this about 5-6 weeks ago. It's now fully carbed and it is very very good. It has great aroma and flavor and is extremely quaffable. Probably one of the best beers I have made to date.

how is the toasted malt character in this? is it very noticeable? is it similar to a vienna/munich/victory toasty/bready character or is it more unique?

Just brewed this for the second time. Last time I included a Citra addition which I believe was a big mistake (tasted like peaches) so this time I brewed it exactly as specified.

Somehow I managed to get a low efficiency and my OG was only 1.053 but I know it will still turn out great.

I'm trying to get this one ready pretty fast so I let it ferment in primary for a week then threw the dry hops in a nylon bag right into the primary. I'm going to let it sit for one more week then bottle. SG at that time was 1.014 so I bet it will drop a point or two in this next week.

Can't wait for it, the hydro sample smelled/tasted amazing.

how is the toasted malt character in this? is it very noticeable? is it similar to a vienna/munich/victory toasty/bready character or is it more unique?

It's noticeable but not overdone. Kind of like victory but a little different - it does have it's own unique flavor when toasted at home in the oven. Give this recipe a shot and toast the 2 row at home for sure, it's a winner.

Just spent a long time reading through this entire post. Looks like a great beer. Looking forward to making it soon. Think I will do the original recipe but use WY 1272 yeast. I have not toasted grains before. Do I do it at 275 degrees in the oven for 30 minutes?

Also, and this is a general question, with the 5 minute hop additions, do you let the hops steep for 15 or 20 minutes after flame out before chilling or do you chill immediately? Thanks.

I'm limited to a 20 qt stove top pot right now while I finish my keggle, but I refuse to do a partial batch or go back to extract. I'd really like to make this beer. Has anyone tried it using the Maxi-BIAB method? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but if someone has tried it they might have suggested recipe tweaks to compensate for the odd-ball procedure.

@wrench

I've used this method "https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/" wich is similar. It came out great. I still brew that way with some changes to that method but now I have a 32L BrewKettle and a kettlescreen so I don't so I don't use the grain bag anymore. Give it shot and let us know how it turns out.

I had a friend help me brew this recipe using the maxi-BIAB method two weeks ago. Everything seems to have gone well - we got the right amount of wort at the correct SG. Now's it's dry-hopping in the secondary. The big problem we had was making a bit of mess squeezing the bag during the sparge. All in all, though, a success. I can't wait to taste the finished product!

I just wanted to say thanks to the Dude and the many commenters here - long overdue but I brewed this back in October, somehow managed to draw the last pint last night (lots on tap and only me drinking usually), but WOW, this was the best beer I've made so far. I used Maris Otter as my base grain and WLP001 (California Ale). Followed hopping schedule pretty close, but I was a little short on Amarillo/Simcoe by the dry hop so I ended up using about 12g of each and 20g of Centennial. It turned out right inbetween a DFH 90 min and a Dark Horse Brewing Crooked Tree IPA. A real delicious well balanced citrusy quaffer - it tastes so good that you get thirstier as you drink it. MMMMWWAAAA!

I love it.

Got my grains for this today and just got done toasting 2 lbs of MO. Going with MO and Wyeast 1272. Going to brew this on Friday and the Centennial Blonde on Saturday. Can't wait.

If anyone is thinking of brewing this who hasn't already, DO IT.

I entered this recipe in the Peach State Brew Off (Atlanta), and out of 36 American Pale Ales, the Lake Walk Pale Ale won 1st place.

I had never entered a beer in a competition before and have only made about 8 beers. I am not even using an all grain set up - I use a partial mash method. I guess what I am saying is that if a rookie brewer like me can win a blue ribbon, the recipe must be really good.

Thanks Dude for the amazing recipe!

Wow! Can't belive all the comments in this thread! Thanks all!

Checking in after quite a long hiatus from HBT. The past year has been stupid busy, so my HBT time took a huge hit. I've moved from the states, to Germany, to Iraq, and now back to Germany, LOL.

Anyway, I'm revisiting the thread because my Bro-in-law is brewing Lake Walk this weekend! I wanted to make sure the recipe was still tight.

FWIW, I'm still doing Lake Walk exactly as noted in the recipe. Only Simcoe and Amarillo now. I still brew 10 gallons of this about every third batch or so. I can't keep it on tap!

Just tapped my keg of this yesterday and it is amazing. Really, really good. This will definitely become a regular in the rotation. Thanks for a great recipe.

Just have to add to the Lake Walk love-in. This turned out really nicely - it's a freakin delicious beer. Unfortunately I only have 4 bottles left and it's probably just getting to its peak (about 4 weeks in bottles).

This was only my second batch but will definitely be brewing this again!

Thanks Dude :mug:

I'm getting pretty far away from the original recipe at this point, I used WLP001 and Maris Otter, and since Simcoe is impossible to find right now I subbed in Zeus 1:1. Here goes nothing. Also forgot to toast the grain.

Back