Crash Cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris_Dog said:
What is crash cooling?
Taking your secondary or keg that has been freshly racked and placing it into your fridge (or whatever) and getting it down to about 35-37 degrees.

It helps to force the beer to settle out much quicker for a clearer beer.

You are essentially (secondary) conditioning the beer at cold temperatures.

Chilling your beer, which clears it more quickly as it causes yeast/etc to settle out more rapidly than it would at room temp. Generally you would do this at the end of secondary before bottling/kegging I believe.

I have a question to add to this, doing this with an ale to help it clear up, putting in a fridge for a week at 40 or so would it kill all the yeast that you need for bottle carbing?

Won't kill the yeast, they will drop out, and go dormant. If done for long enough you won't have enough in the beer to carb, but for a few weeks you should have plenty in there.

mot said:
I have a question to add to this, doing this with an ale to help it clear up, putting in a fridge for a week at 40 or so would it kill all the yeast that you need for bottle carbing?

also I find that if you just bottle and then alow enough time for the beer to settle out in the botttle you can skip this step (cold conditioning) in the secondary. also Crash cooling or cold conditioning helps to eliminate and settle out any chill haze. I will usually let my beers sit for a week or two in the keg to allow any chill haze to settle out before tapping them.

Cheers

Back