My american wheat tastes like Budweiser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
So i have just started AG. Tried an american wheat.

6 lbs english white wheat
6 lbs pearl malt (kinda like maris otter)
2 oz hallertauer at 60 min (3.2 %AA whole leaf)
.5 oz centennial at 5 min (9.4 %AA pellets)

1.060 OG
1.010 FG
1056 yeast at 70-73 *F

finished fermenting in about 2 days. Racked from primary into keg after 10 days total. Pulled a pint about 8 days after that.

So tasting the first pint it tastes just like budweiser. I assume this is a certain flaw and i just dont know what to contribute it to. It basically has that wierd after taste that budweiser has.

Any ideas? fermented too warm?

That could be it, but it's probably just a pretty green beer. Give it a few more weeks before you get too worried about it. I've had plenty of beers that weren't so great earlier on, and became magnificent months later.

Hmmm, interesting. Several observations, if I may...

1. There's no wheat malt in Buttwiper.
2. If it tastes like Buttwiper then there is a flaw. But this is HB so there are no flaws...:D.
3. Let me presume you are fairly new to HBing and your taste buds have not been properly educated.
4. Could be some harsh bitterness on your tongue.
5. Let it age some and the flavor will only get better.

Enjoy it.:D

yeah, i agree, there is no wheat in buttwiper as you put it. buttwiper is also not an ale, its a lager, so there are plenty of differences. i am not claiming to have made a bud clone.

Its mostly the after taste that matches bud.

Arent wheats supposed to be drank very green?

What is the descriptor for the nasty aftertaste of bud?

Finished fermenting in 2 days? Holy cow... there would have had to have been some high temps involved. I say this because most yeasts, especially liquids, even with starters, will lag about 12 hours. That is a ferocious ferment, Id have to think there are some off flavors in there from that sort of activity.

Pol

It was fermented on a large yeast cake.....

But i was mostly afraid of infection or else the fast ferment at high temps.

It sounds to me what you are tasting is the green apple or bruised apple character of acetaldehyde. This is a common byproduct of yeast fermenting at warmer temperatures in green beer. It is also a characteristic flavor in Bud but to a lesser degree. As others have said, let it age a bit.

Dr Malt;)

jammer said:
yeah, i agree, there is no wheat in buttwiper as you put it. buttwiper is also not an ale, its a lager, so there are plenty of differences. i am not claiming to have made a bud clone.

Its mostly the after taste that matches bud.

Arent wheats supposed to be drank very green?

What is the descriptor for the nasty aftertaste of bud?
Don't know. I haven't had an American Buttwiper since '75. I have had many Czech Budvars since then.:D

Dr Malt said:
It sounds to me what you are tasting is the green apple or bruised apple character of acetaldehyde. This is a common byproduct of yeast fermenting at warmer temperatures in green beer. It is also a characteristic flavor in Bud but to a lesser degree. As others have said, let it age a bit.

Dr Malt;)

Yes. Yeast make acetaldehyde on the way too making alcohol. If this is the taste you are getting then some time alone with the yeast will cure the problem.

Bummer. 5 hours worth of brewing and cleanup and you end up with Budweiser. Oh well, don't feel bad, my first AG tasted like vomit.:)

The beer has a odd residual sweetness to it. it finished at 1.010. I had my college aged brother have it and he said it was much sweeter that bud. My father said it tasted a little like heineken.

I tried a pale ale that is slightly older and it had that same sort of taste but much more subdued. It wasnt quite a buddweiser taste but still the same after taste as the original wheat.

maybe this was a little confusing but does it help diagnose anything?

Should i still just wait longer and stop worrying? Anyone heard of an infection that sounds like this?

1.060 to 1.010 is a pretty good attenuation. What was the ferment temp? I'm guessing that it was a little high. That much activity in two days is going to cause a lot of heat. I would guess that's the cause. Try cold conditioning it for a couple of weeks. I bet it clears up and tastes pretty good.

It fermented in the 75* range.

I just tasted it again, and it seems like there is very little hop profile. bitterness or aroma. beer tools told me i should be just under 30 IBUs for this beer. i would imagine that hops would easily be recognizable.

It really doesnt taste 'rough' kinda like the hops and malt profile havent melded yet. its just like there is very little hop profile at all.

does this shed any more light on the subject? should i really just let it sit?

Back