Slow to start stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed this past Saturday, away from home and I made a 12 gallon batch of reprobate stout (OG 1.086). Everything went well and I was happy with the process. However, I placed the fermenter towards the front of my truck bed and I got home late and was too tired to pull everything out to get the fermenter. I tried lifting it over the bed wall to no avail. Long story short, I left it outside until the AM. It hit 38 for a low over the night. I moved it inside at about 8 AM the following day.

So now it's Monday AM and still no airlock activity and of course I'm a bit concerned. I pitched 3 packs of S-04 so the pitch rate is perhaps a bit shy but not by much. Should I be concerned yet?

im not sure, but that temp might have put those yeast to sleep and 3 packs is a lot actually...check the OG and see if its moved, if not give it a little stir or whirl.

Remember airlock bubbling is a poor indicator of what is really going on in your fermenter, that should never be used as a gauge. If you are really worried, take a hydro reading.

But more than likely they just went dormant and it may take them a day or more to come up outta their turpor.

I would just relax.

But next time you do an away brew, AT LEAST bring your fermenter in when you get home. I had the same issue with big brew day on Saturday, I had no energy to unload the car, but I did make sure to bring the fermenter in.

im not sure, but that temp might have put those yeast to sleep and 3 packs is a lot actually...check the OG and see if its moved, if not give it a little stir or whirl.

I'll check the gravity tonight if it's not started by then. I'm using a Fermenator conical which seals pretty well so the airlock is actually a better indicator than when I use a carboy or bucket.

According to the pitching rate calculator, I needed 3.4 packs of S-04 so I'm actually a bit short.

I really should have brought it inside but I got home after midnight and unloading the truck was not appealing in the least bit at the time. Next time I'll be sure to slog through it, especially if the batch is chingered up.

Another case of yeast neglect bordering on abuse, your yeast were trying to gear up for the extreme task at hand but are now confused and were trying to sleep right after they were awakened, Now they are gearing up again.

Some of them with bad attitudes are procrastinating and wondering if you're gonna want them to sleep before the job is done again, so they are ignoring their gung ho buddies that are telling them to "come on, it'll be fine"!!

Don't worry, they'll come around. Just hope they don't report you to the yeast police.;)

Back