corn sugar verus cane sugar or carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn verus cane for carb

• cant taste the difference

• yes, difference

• dont know

Results are only viewable after voting.

bkov

Reaction score
is there a noticable different between using 4oz of corn sugar verus cane sugar for carbonating?

I haven't tried cane sugar so I can't speak from experience. I can tell you that corn sugar is a monosaccharide and cane sugar a disaccharide. Supposedly the yeasties have a harder time with the saccharides and a "cidery" flavor is imparted. If you boil the cane sugar in water for a few minutes, the heat & h20 will break the disacharides into monosacharides. In a pinch, I would totally use the cane sugar and just boil it... I doubt it would make a difference, but since I have a tub full of corn sugar, I haven't had to try it.

I bottled the last few batches with cane sugar.

I boiled one plain and tried one boiled with cream of tartar, which is an acid (actually a derivitive of wine making) to "invert" the sugar (break the bonds). This technique is used in some candy making (came across it in my professional reading).

There was no difference between carbonation time (as judged by me).

No taste imparted to my observation.

So for me, cane sugar is usually available, and I will use that instead of ordering corn sugar.

To me brew carbonated with sugar gives that homebrewy taste, though if the beer is aged long enough this can be overcome, problem is most homebrewers seem to rush it. I use CO2 and people never know it's homebrew unless I tell them.

Back