Slash & Burn Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1056
Yeast Starter
Hell yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 65F
Additional Fermentation
Age for 12 weeks at 55F
Tasting Notes
A complex character with minimal alcohol warmth. Tastes bigger than 1.013 suggests
10.4% ABV

Mash
6lbs 2-row
6lbs Maris Otter
0.5lbs Crystal 60L
0.5lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5lbs Gambrinous (Honey) Malt
0.5lbs Roast Barley
0.25lb Carafa II

Sac rest at 152F for 60minutes
Collect 7gal pre-boil (1.060 SG)
~67% efficiency

Boil
100 minute boil for additional melanoidin formation.

1oz Centennial (9.5%) FWH (100min) 35.3BU
1.5oz Northern Brewer (8.1%) 75min 39.6BU
0.5oz Northern Brewer (8.1%) 5min 2.5BU
0.5oz Mt. Hood (5.3%) 5min 1.6BU
1lb Corn Sugar (late addition)
1lb Light DME (late addition)

Re-aerate after first 24hours of primary fermentation.
Racking to secondary after 21 days introduces intentional oxidation to produce subtle sherry flavors.

As a follow-up, this beer took 1st in its category of "mammoth beers" (OG >1.090) in a local competition. It's a solid, solid beer, and the longer you keep it on hand, the better it gets.

Hey .. like the looks of the recipe .. want to make an imperial but only have a 7 gallon mash tun ... looks like i could actually fit this one in there. you say you collect 7 gallons to the kettle boil for 100 min and come out with 5 gallon? seems i lost way more then that boil my last brew for 90 minutes ... thoughts suggestions?

thanks!

Yeah, i typically boil for 60-90min and get around 12% boiloff. Usually ~1gal per hour. I was working with a 5.1gal MLT at this time, so i made up for that with the addition of the DME and corn sugar, as well as the longer boil. The sugar helped to dry it out down to 1.013, i believe.

You don't need a monstrous boil - just enough to turn over the liquid in the kettle and to vaporize such things as DMS precursors, etc.

Back