Bretting a disappointing bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I have a disappointing beer that I bottled over 7 months ago that's not getting any better. It was a winter warmer with wheat yeast at about ~70 F (terrible idea from the get-go, I know).
I'm considering opening up all of the bottles and pouring them down the side of a fermentor and adding some of my Brett L, or maybe dregs or something, and letting it go for several months.
I'm thinking with all the CO2 from the bottles, oxygen wouldn't really be a concern.

The OG was 1.078, FG was 1.017, so there's plenty of sugars for the Brett to have fun with, but the 8.2% ABV might be a little stressful for them. I could add some other low ABV beers to the mix, or freshly boiled very low OG wort...

What do you guys think?

I've done something similar. I had a really nasty under-attenuated wheat beer from before I learned the value of oxygenating the wort. I blended them into a lambic-style base beer with dregs. It really cleaned up the off flavors nicely and I got a nice secondary fermentation out of it. I'd try it again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna go ahead with this, and probably blend it with other beers/fresh wort. I know Brett eats up some bad flavors... Was yours already bottled?

It was.. I had about a gallon of headspace, so I topped it up over several days. Took awhile because of the foam.

I have a 5-gallon Brett+Pedio Solera that has turned into the home for a lot of my just-ok beers. 8.2% is asking a lot of pedio, but the brett should be fine. I added my culture to a 10.5% quad and it did wonderful things. A bretted winter warmer sounds pretty good, and if you don't like the current beer, then the worst that can happen is you're just delaying a drainpour.

I did this to a Saison that never tasted right. It was just too sweet or DMS or something was up. Opened each bottle added back into a carboy and pitched some Brett from Anchorage beer with Brett. I built up a starter for the Brett and then added this to the carboy with some table sugar and some DME to have the yeast consume all the extra oxygen from the dumping of bottles into the carboy. 3-4 Months later the FG is down to 1.000 and I bottled. Tastes better than it did as a Saison at bottling. I need to wait a few weeks for it to carbonate.

Back