Broke my $%&@ing hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I was washing some stuff and I was really pissed at my wife, which caused me to "place" the hydrometer in the sink a little too vigorously.

Let this be a lesson to everyone...

Never get married.

Or follow Walker's example and don't use one!

He does own one but it's actually Mrs Walker who uses it on the Wine they have going. Maybe her first post on this site will be similar to yours cweston!;)

I broke my last one just wiping it down after a measurement. I may not even get another. I would give up brewing if my wife wanted me to.

Bah so what I broke my floating thermometer brewing on friday.. and yes the Hopstopper not only filters hops and trub but it filters little shards of thermometer glass too!

budbo said:
Bah so what I broke my floating thermometer brewing on friday.. and yes the Hopstopper not only filters hops and trub but it filters little shards of thermometer glass too!

Uhm, should you be concerned with the mercury from the themometer?

:eek:

You guys...I only use my therm and hydrometer in the plastic sample tube.

When "cleaning" it I hold it under hot water. That's it.

There's no scrubbing or rubbing involved because hot water dissolves all the sugar away.:D

I broke my last one just wiping it down after a measurement. I may not even get another

Is that in reference to the hydrometer or the wife? :D

Uhm, should you be concerned with the mercury from the themometer?

Only if it causes off-flavors.
...or if it's non-food-grade mercury.

Holy jumping christ on a hot dog bun, you guys are funny. Thank you. Thank you, I am greatly cheered.

But I was thinking, if you've got mercury in your brew, you can turn it to your advantage.

A) Call it "Mad Hatter Beer"

B) Play it off like the Tuna companies, like this: "Sure, it's got a little mercury, but at least it's dolphin-safe!"

P funky said:
B) Play it off like the Tuna companies, like this: "Sure, it's got a little mercury, but at least it's dolphin-safe!"

dolphin-safe beer. I like that!

I broke my good hyrdometer a few weeks ago, and am back to to the one with the lead-shot in it. time to invest in one of them fancy 25.00 ones :eek:

budbo said:
No, it was a floating themometer just the outer glass broke.. The thermometer itself still works fine it just won't float any more

Gotcha. I'm new here and wasn't sure just how crazy you might be.

Not like ax murderer crazy, but crazy like not sanitizing bottles or something....

...wait, that's another thread.

:cross:

cweston said:
I was washing some stuff and I was really pissed at my wife, which caused me to "place" the hydrometer in the sink a little too vigorously...
sounds like you wern't drinking enough to make all the sharp words incoherent to the SWMBO?

D*Bo said:
Thermometers don't have mercury anymore. Died alcohol if I remember correctly.
You forgot the all important word "some", as in "Some thermometers don't....."

Back