Inline GFCI protection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdech

Reaction score
In the future, I was planning on using my dryer plug (220V, 30 A) to power an electric boil kettle. However, the outlet for the dryer doesn't have any GFCI protection. So I was wondering if there is any way to add a GFCI between the plug and the heating element? Or do I need to wire up a seperate, GFCI protected outlet for this application? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg

My 30 amp 240 volt gfci breaker was almost $200... If you are renting you would be better off buying the extension cord as previously mentioned. However, be aware that the plug may be 4 prong and not 3 and I have not seen a four prong 30 amp 240 volt extension.

Hot water heaters don't have GFCIs and that's feeding water (not a bad conductor) through copper (great conductor) to all your tubs and sinks!

But, the 220 outlet for your dryer should have it's own breaker in the fusebox, so you could replace this with a GFCI breaker if you're worried, but they are expensive.
Leviton makes a couple of inline models - also not cheap- a 15A #26592-E and a 20A #36592-E, but they are for a cord, not a wall box.

I know expensive is not a good reason to skip something (like on motorcycles- If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet) but the fact that they are not required on hot water heaters should make you feel better.

Back