fast ferment, should I worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
I pitched about a 1/2 cup starter slurry into my wort at 6pm. By 11pm it was bubbling furiously. But by 7am this morning, the airlock was rarely bubbling. And by 6pm today(24 hours), I haven't seen it bubble on its own....

Has me worried.

I feel very confident about this brew. In my opinion, this brewing went much more smoothly.

It was a belgian wit kit with liquid unhopped malt, throw-ins, and a dry yeast. I starter was made with DME. The wort was well aerated, but the starter was not. I forgot. My other mistake(I think), was pouring off the starter beer and pouring in some of the wheat wort. Again I forgot to aerate the starter, and they were starting to bubble in the bottle when I pitched.

I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet because of the yeast layer on top, and I am pretty sure I have a tight seal on the bucket.

Should I take action, or wait?

Thanks,
WW

You can just wait. It's fine. I've had beers ferment out in less than 24 hours before- and they still need some time to sit and "clean up" afterwards. You can check the SG in about a week or so, just to be sure it's done, though.

You should never worry about anything...RDWHAHB, remember?

Bubbling, or lack of it in the airlock means nothing and shouldn't be used to gauge anything...The hydrometer is the only way to tell...

No two fermentations are ever the same...

Just walk away from it for a week or two then take a hydro reading.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

Back