Keezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to begin my keezer build and trying to make a choice about the collar. I'm going back and forth on 2 options. I have Google Sketchups of both options.

The first is a standard collar. The collar would be made of 2x6 pine, sanded, and stained a dark red to match the bar in my basement.
Freezer_with_Collar.JPG

The second option is a double collar. I would start with the same 2x6 collar as above but on the outside of that I would attach a second 1x8 collar. The second collar would be made from a much nicer wood, probably cedar or oak, and stained.
Freezer_with_Double_Collar.JPG

What do you think?

I seem to remember from my old deck building adventures that they sold a "wrapper" of 1/8 to 1/4 inch wood you could put around the outside of your original box to give it a cleaner look. It could also save a little money. Finally, I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to put your faucet shanks through two full layers of wood so I'd probably err on the side of the single collar. HTH.

How about a combination of the two - nice wood exterior, but flush with the outside of the freezer, then just use some 1x6 pine to make the collar the desired thickness?

:mug:

Liquidicem:
I went with the double wall (pic #2) and sandwiched a piece of styrofoam in between the two boads just for some added insulation..I used 1x8 pine (the nice stuff) for the outside attached to the 2x4 collar and 1x4 on the inside stained and sealed....

How about a combination of the two - nice wood exterior, but flush with the outside of the freezer, then just use some 1x6 pine to make the collar the desired thickness?

:mug:

Maybe even some 3/4 inch plywood for the inner liner with some foam board insulation.

You building a collar or a deck? I don't understand why all the heavy lumber I see in these things.

One-by poplar is what I used and it's plenty to support the weight of a foam lid. If your bar is oak, use some 1" oak planks. Pine is not all that dimensionally stable.

Back