First Look: SS Brewtech Infussion Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been discussed at great length, if you aren't convinced by now then you aren't going to be. Letting it go is probably the right move.
So just so I got it clear the advantages are, and we try to weight them objectively.

1 its made of stainless (while the outside will become dinged and banged up more easily and it less practical to move or clean, the inside wont pick up odors or ever possibly warp. and should technically outlive the plastic in a igloo beverage cooler if one uses it for more than say 20 years?

2 center drain such as one would get from using an upside down keggle. (efficiency increase would be immeasurable) as long as one has a dip tube setup under the false bottom. but this is a better setup for clean in place which effects the disadvantage #1 for those doing so.

3 its insulated which gives it the advantage over a stainless kettle MT for non recirculating setups where cosmetic appearance is important.

From the technical standpoint if one does use a herms or rims it would be more beneficial and practical to use a regular stainless kettle that would be easier to clean, cost much less not to mention eliminate any possible bulkhead issues and be more versatile in configuration.

A disadvantage would be the much higher cost over other options which wont effect function or the beer.

Is there any other real tangible advantage I may have missed?

I think your post:

The insulation has merit when not recirulating and controlling the temps with heating by rims or herms.... But when doing so its just not practical. at $300 it would take many years to recoupe the $250 extra with couple cents in electric you would save each brew. and most importantly there would be no difference into beer.

I didnt say I dont think these have a place...

Is exactly the point I was trying to make with my post:

It's a hobby and not always about brewing beer in the cheapest way possible, which seams to be a popular force in a lot of threads. The opinion that if you're not doing it the cheapest way possible then somehow you're doing it wrong, wasting your money.

So while a product may not fit your specific situation, for others it will.

Been doing extract for years and will soon be investing in an all grain system. I will most likely stick to 5 gallon batches, but i do love big stouts and will be brewing large grain bills. Would a 20 gallon mash tun be a good investment or would 10 gallon be better?

I think your post:

Is exactly the point I was trying to make with my post:

after reading these last two commentsI do have to say I think you guys totally missed my point. I recognized the cosmetic advantage MANY TIMES.
I was asking for PRACTICAL advantages. and advantages OTHER THAN LOOKS. Looks are cosmetic in case its confusing and that mainly to be pleasant to look at or impress people or ones self. Can we not agree this advantage alone does not apply to everyone or their needs. I do agree it can apply to those where the looks are more of a concern than the money spent. That does not make it any more practical or economical on a homebrewing scale does it?

If the cosmetic reason is you only real advantage for you thats fine but for comparisons sake I asked for OTHER advantages besides cosmetic ones and make a list of what has been determined so far and where one setup may be the best fit over another asking for other factors and all I get is people disagree with no explanation or justification to back up or explain what they mean?..
DISGREE WITH WHAT? That their arent other practical advantages to paying 3-5 times more for an insulated stainless mashtun over other options??

OK GREAT! SO WHAT ARE THEY?

If you think an insulated benefit has a real advantage over a non insulated one and its advantages even when used with a herms or rims please explain your point of view!
@angrybits
Not this "im adding you to my ignore list taking my toys and going home" approach it does nothing for either aspect of this comparision and evaluation. If you have an opinion you should be able to voice your reasoning for it so others can understand why you have it just as I did.

Been doing extract for years and will soon be investing in an all grain system. I will most likely stick to 5 gallon batches, but i do love big stouts and will be brewing large grain bills. Would a 20 gallon mash tun be a good investment or would 10 gallon be better?
10 gallon mashtuns are a bit small for high gravity belgian triples, imperial stouts and barley wines...(I learned this the hard way and can confirm that) you would be fine with 5 gallons of pretty much any other style though...

after reading these last two commentsI do have to say I think you guys totally missed my point. I recognized the cosmetic advantage MANY TIMES.

I was asking for PRACTICAL advantages. and advantages OTHER THAN LOOKS.

If you think an insulated benefit has a real advantage over a non insulated one and its advantages even when used with a herms or rims please explain your point of view!
Didn't miss your point at all, and I did post up the advantages an insulated SS MT has to me.

Here they are again:

Over time plastic coolers have been known to warp and crack, some folks don't want to deal with that. Some folks also have concerns with heating plastic above what it may have been designed for, plenty of debate threads on that already. While some folks may not have any concerns with plastic and therefore there's no justification for the added cost of stainless. And yes, aesthetics and purpose built do weigh into equipment buying decisions.

I'm actually thinking of adding HERMS to my insulated MT as a way to adjust/dial in temperature. Even with calculators and experience sometimes you miss mash temperature and need a way to adjust for it.

What I like about a insulated MT is that you are not recirculating/heating the whole time and can walk away from it. This gives me an hour to go take care of other things, or break away for breakfast with the family.

Note that the heating of the plastic doesn't concern me much, but I know it does for others. Hence the reason I listed it.

DISGREE WITH WHAT? That their arent other practical advantages to paying 3-5 times more for an insulated stainless mashtun over other options??

After reading this it seems pointless to repeat the advantages since all you are going to do is point out the flaws. What makes this strange is I really see no motivation for you to do this. I feel as if you are taking the role of consumer protection agency trying to keep people from spending money on products you deem overly priced, which really isn't needed nor asked for in this case.

Here's a link to the 10g mash tun. As companies do, they've listed several bullets on why you should buy the product. I'm very sure you will dismiss nearly all of them. Heck, in this case I'm sure you can dismiss just the fact that it's SS and probably not needed.

Where you really lose me is when you do something called "moving the goal posts". It starts with cost and point out how a cooler is cheaper, so you win right off the bat and use the 3x to 5x cost point. If someone says they don't want to use a cooler, you immediately switch them to a RIMS or HERMS setup. But the trick is you don't include the 3x to 5x point in this case because odds are the cost difference isn't that close anymore. Heck, a 10g Bayou Classic with false bottom and spigot is about $200 on Amazon - so at the start you're at half the $400 price. But what you completely ignore is maybe the fact that the person doesn't WANT to go RIMS or HERMS at this time which then puts the comparison back to a cooler vs this product. But after all the distracting points about price or RIMS are mentioned, lost in the shuffle are the specific points like the conical type bottom only found on this product. If the point is plastic vs SS you switch the topic to RIMS. If the point is RIMS vs this product, you point out how much cheaper a cooler is.

As square cooler user I can also say that while it works I've never considered it a great option. I also don't know why you think it's perfectly safe since even Igloo doesn't recommend you use hot liquids in coolers designed for cooling. Technically my bazooka screen works but I could probably get better results with a round cooler and those false bottoms made for the round coolers. That would be an upgrade to my system but using your logic it wouldn't make any sense since it costs more and I'm already making beer my friends like.

There are two other points I didn't see mentioned that I just bet won't mean much to you. First, Ss Brewing is strictly focused on brewing. Companies like Bayou might make homebrew stuff but for many people there is a value in a product made by a company with a focused purpose. Do you need silicon on the handles when oven mitts will do? No, but it shows that Ss Brewing is going the extra mile. I'm going to also bet the false bottom works more efficiently with Ss Brewing. Second, some people prefer to buy things in one neat package. You could get a Bayou and all the other parts and make it just like this product, but that isn't for everyone. With this product it's all done for you ready to go after a quick wash. Maybe doing it yourself is cheaper but that isn't for everyone.

I think it's clear this product is superior to a cooler (for the price it should be). If the argument is "go RIMS/HERMS" instead of this then I think you need to provide an off the shelf system of comparable price that would do that in order for it to be apples to apples.

See this is a case of you not paying attention to what I said . I stated that With an existing rims or Herm's that the practical advantages of the insulation just aren't there. Just as there would be no advantage of a cooler vs non insulated tun. (Which is one of the key reasons I changed from an insulated run to a non insulated one.) I also compared a the pros and con's of a plastic cooler vs the stainless cooler in a NON suplimentally heated setup. I did try to keep these entirely different scenarios separate. As well as keep it about real advantages and not the obvious bling factor. The possibility of warping mash tuns was mentioned and yes I mentioned that from what I have read of the plastic and what its rated for this damage occurs when the plastic is heated OVER 170 degrees and becomes unstable. So my point was to clarify that its really a non issue if one does a good job of not overheating their mashtun. I mentioned the fact that the plastic used in the coolers is tested and rated to be completely food safe for temps up to 170 degrees per direct quotes from Coleman reps. I could argue these facts were ignored to justify points to buy the other tun.
I have no personal gain... That's a good point. But I do have experience with both Herm's, rims and non heated mash setups as well as insulated and non insulated, as well as plastic and stainless mashtuns so If my experience doesn't coincide with the theory's or suggested issues then I feel that's worth mentioning to weed out real from hypotheticals from my experience. I wanted to contribute to a real review complete with real reasoning for and against such an option and it seems some don't want a real discussion over pros and con's.. Especially when there are many new brewers that may not understand yet and could end up spending much more for unneeded redundant equipment combinations based on someone's biased opinion to justify their own choice.

Didn't miss your point at all, and I did post up the advantages an insulated SS MT has to me.

Here they are again:

Note that the heating of the plastic doesn't concern me much, but I know it does for others. Hence the reason I listed it.

Are you suggesting that one has to babysit a Herm's or rims? That's really not the case if the setup is implemented correctly. And yes some have reservations with plastic touching food just as some have issues with aluminum and acidic liquids. There is no evidence that either is justified and that should be mentioned in this conversation. Have you used and experienced warpingor off flavors from a plastic lined cooler? I would venture to guess no. Your repeating what others have repeated to justify upgrading but is it based on facts or exaggeration? My experience with using a cooler for many many brew sessions for a year and a half indicate to me that this is one of those cases where some who add liquid thats much to hot because their process is flawed misrepresents the rest.
I have had more than a couple coffee mugs made and lined with the same plastic as the coolers and unless boiling liquid or damn near is poured in or water somehow gets inside the liner and is frozen the warping doesn't happen.

Augiedoggy, you can't seem to wrap your head around some guys not wanting to brew with junk equipment.
The differences between a Hyundai elantra and a Mercedes S class go deeper than mere COSMETICS
Sure both will get to the lhbs, but that is where the similarities end.
If you wanna brew on your Hyundai equipment, that's fine, but stop acting like your elantra is an S class

Are you suggesting that one has to babysit a Herm's or rims? That's really not the case if the setup is implemented correctly.

Have you used and experienced warpingor off flavors from a plastic lined cooler? I would venture to guess no.

I personally would not and do not leave my system unattended when liquid is flowing. I also try not to walkaway when the element is on. If something does happen to go awry, I'd like to be there to intervene. Nothing is 100% failure or fool proof.

And yes, my round Rubbermaid cooler is in fact warped.

I have not experienced off flavors, but then again I mentioned nothing of off flavors. What I did say is that some folks have concerns with using plastic, I really don't. There are plenty of threads on this subject already for folks to read and draw their own conclusions.

For the record, I'm not looking to purchase this product. I have another manufacturers insulated SS MT. I'm simply posting up what's appealing with a insulated SS MT vs. a plastic one. And yes, looks also play into the equation. My "brewery" is in my unfinished garage, so I'm not really showing it off to others as you suggest or bought the MT simply just to show off. My HT/BK is a Bayou Classic, and I'm not changing that. Wouldn't you think I'd have a Blichmann if I was simply buying equipment just to show off? In full disclosure I do have a BoilCoil in that Bayou Classic.

IMO, the insulated SS MT was the one product missing from the homebrew market.

I personally would not and do not leave my system unattended when liquid is flowing. I also try not to walkaway when the element is on. If something does happen to go awry, I'd like to be there to intervene. Nothing is 100% failure or fool proof.

I totally agree. Every time I see a house fire on the news I try and remind myself to never leave while I'm heating something. Sadly I usually do leave to grab something from the kitchen but I end up running back to make sure everything is OK. You have to figure a good portion of those house fires were caused by someone not paying attention. It just seems like good sense to me.

Augiedoggy, you can't seem to wrap your head around some guys not wanting to brew with junk equipment.
The differences between a Hyundai elantra and a Mercedes S class go deeper than mere COSMETICS
Sure both will get to the lhbs, but that is where the similarities end.
If you wanna brew on your Hyundai equipment, that's fine, but stop acting like your elantra is an S class
See you just made my point for me with your simple reasoning.
its a kettle to hold grain either to hold temps itself or just to hold the grain with a rims or herms system maintains the temps. (it performs different primary functions in each different setup which is another point I was trying to make) Its not for showing off and it will not get you laid. (or obviously in your case it is to show off) BUT AGAIN, COSMETICS ASIDE!! I was asking what the real practical advantages were.

What constitutes the difference between your superior mashtun and "Junk" in this case? marketing price and looks.... This apparently adds up to prestige in your mind from your comments. For someone whos primary purpose for owning this is to make good beer this sillyness is not important.

This are the differences you are a prime example of the mentality im talking about. This is a chinese made mashtun not a german automobile Its like arguing that a silver spoon is vastly superior to a stainless one and also agueing that its not because of the fact that it costs more but because that silver spoon has performance benefits but when asked to explain them theres just silence.... so what if the silver tarnishes and is soft... (Just like ignoring the huge weight and inconvenience factor of moving one of these mash tuns around or any other advantage that may have no merit depending on setup and use) Its ok to talk up the silver spoon but when it comes to validating any of the real stuff it seems peopl here dont want to here it because it interferes with their propoganda to convince themselves its more of an upgrade than reality shows.

because the real primary reasoning in most owners eyes will not be functional but cosmetic. Fine but you shouldnt try to convince others that your choice was the correct one for other reasons than you have more money and that means you can affords to spend more it on less important things. then to have the typical additude that everything but your brewery jewelry is junk because

BTW drive that mercedes an hyundai side by side with equal usage for 5 years and tell me what the practical benefit is then when you compare service and maintenance costs...between the two. The truth is the hyundai will likely perform the task of a reliable automobile more cost effectively. You know what they say a fool is easily separated from him money... Nothing wrong with flaunting it if you got it I guess especially if it makes you feel better about yourself but to imply economical choices are all junk just because of the lack of completely uneeded luxuries is foolish.

IMO, the insulated SS MT was the one product missing from the homebrew market.

Maybe there isnt very many insulated mashtuns for home brewing because it simply isnt that practical / important?

For about $20 I added alarms and a flow switch to my rims setup which cut power to the rims if there is any issue. I am confident that I spend all my money where it was important to make my setup more practical and reliable to brew with... I try to compare the real benifits and disadvantages of everything I consider to do this.
I respect your points and your point of view and think you have actually made more sense than most in this "debate" about the benefits and yes I still admit there are fits for the stainless insulated mashtun. but I also still feel the insulation is not always important and the stainless vs plastic this is more a personal choice thing than something we can say will actually have a real effect on anything tangable as far as the process or the beer.

I guess my biggest grip is the lack of a practical point for the insulated tun verses a non insulated tun when using herms or rims. Those considering either a herms or rims should understand that the whole purpose is to regulate and control mash temps making the insulation more of a burden than anything for anyone who does not clean in place. These things are important to paint an accurate picture of whats important a regular stainless mash tun would make more sense from a practical standpoint and would not be "junk" as some would have you perceive just because its not commercially sold as a purpose built mashtun... This reasoning is blind.

I used my igloo cooler for a year and a half for about 20-25 brew sessions and it still looks brand new inside... Perhaps you cleaned it with boiling water at some point? 170> should not make it warp.

I used my igloo cooler for a year and a half for about 20-25 brew sessions and it still looks brand new inside... Perhaps you cleaned it with boiling water at some point? 170> should not make it warp.
It's never seen boiling water.

In a search plenty of threads come up on warped and cracked coolers.

Maybe some brands or round coolers are more prone to it.

Mine is square and its a bit warped but no cracks yet. I'd be surprised if it's ever seen water over 170. And boy it's a pain to clean these days. SS would be a nice change.

Mine is square and its a bit warped but no cracks yet. I'd be surprised if it's ever seen water over 170. And boy it's a pain to clean these days. SS would be a nice change.

I do agree that I worry less about cleaning my stainless mashtun even though it doesnt really matter if it gets scratched like it could with a plastic fermenter. Now stainless fermenters? To me thats a real benefit over worrying about scratching plastic. plus my conicals seem so much easier to keep clean than my old carboys.

its certianly possible... I have the orange round 10 gallon igloo model, this one actually http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6SHTK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Only it was on sale at the time for like $35 shipped from amazon... the bulkhead is solid where the ballvalve goes too so no fears of compressing/cracking or leaking with it but I ultimately decided (mainly to be able to do bigger 10 gallon beers but also for cosmetic reasons) to upgrade to the 16 gallon stainless mashtun since the insulation was no longer needed once I went rims. I noticed no difference in the performance or beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody mentioned 'purpose-built' a few pages back....so has anyone tested side by side to see if the SS mash tun has better insulation than a cooler? Most coolers are notorious for losing heat through the lid - does the SS version do better with insulating the lid? Are the sidewalls thicker/better insulated? If so, the increased temp stability might be worthwhile to someone who doesn't want to mess with the plumbing/control systems required by RIMS/HERMS. Certainly by the time you add in the cost of a pump, RIMS/HERMS and a stainless keg isn't that much cheaper than the SS mash tun.

As for the boiling water- I had a round home depot cooler for three or four years, and brewed on it probably three times a month. From Nov-March or so, I'd preheat it by dumping in a gallon of boiling water. I just tossed it this past spring due to warping. I can see the SS doing better when pre-heating than the plastic.

And finally, if you minimize dead space, that lets you brew bigger beers without adding DME, all else being equal. My old cooler used to have about half a gallon of dead space, or maybe a little less.

I'm not saying this is for everyone - I'm not even sure it's for me. But, I can see where it might appeal to some brewers in some situations.

Somebody mentioned 'purpose-built' a few pages back....so has anyone tested side by side to see if the SS mash tun has better insulation than a cooler? Most coolers are notorious for losing heat through the lid - does the SS version do better with insulating the lid? Are the sidewalls thicker/better insulated?
As far as insulating properties, I don't see a SS MT having an advantage. I would hope it would be at least equivalent to a cooler. I know my round Rubbermaid cooler held very stable and lost only one, maybe two, degrees over a 60min mash. And that includes times when it was outside in 30 degree weather.

I'm thinking of getting a SS Mashtun, but I'm a bit torn. I still plan on doing 5 gallon batches, but I love brewing big stouts. One of the beers in my queue is a big Hunahpu clone with a 28 lbs grain bill. Thus I was thinking I should get the 20 gallon mash tun for when i want to brew those big stouts, but I was scrolling through their FAQ and they said they don't recommend the 20 gallon for 5 gallon batches bc you dont want the grain bed spread out that far. Obviously that won't be a problem for the Huna clone, but what about when i want to brew a regular pale ale? Is it that big of an issue mashing 5 gallons of regular OG beers on a 20 gallon mash tun?

I'm thinking of getting a SS Mashtun, but I'm a bit torn. I still plan on doing 5 gallon batches, but I love brewing big stouts. One of the beers in my queue is a big Hunahpu clone with a 28 lbs grain bill. Thus I was thinking I should get the 20 gallon mash tun for when i want to brew those big stouts, but I was scrolling through their FAQ and they said they don't recommend the 20 gallon for 5 gallon batches bc you dont want the grain bed spread out that far. Obviously that won't be a problem for the Huna clone, but what about when i want to brew a regular pale ale? Is it that big of an issue mashing 5 gallons of regular OG beers on a 20 gallon mash tun?

You should not be concerned about mashing for 5 gals in a 20 gal. I am not sure why their FAQ would state this. It's simply wrong.

I, and many (countless) others use 20+ gal mash tuns to mash for 5 gal batches with great success. At the end of the day, if you can maintain the proper temp, your conversion will be a success. Consider that many folks use rectangular coolers to mash and you can see why the concern of 'grain bed spread' is a non-issue.

My opinion is get the biggest size you can afford. 20 gal MT is big enough for most 10 gal batches. If you ever want to brew 10 gals, you will need it anyway.

I wouldn't worry about doing 5 gal batches in 20 gal tuns. I think it is more for them a way to convince some people to also buy the 10 gal mashtun. I'm considering a 20 gal model too when they become available in december.

Somebody mentioned 'purpose-built' a few pages back....so has anyone tested side by side to see if the SS mash tun has better insulation than a cooler?

That was me, and in context I was comparing to a blichmann (or other) kettle being used as a mash tun. To answer your question, I believe it to be better at retaining heat but I have not run an empirical test per se.

Expanding for a bit, I think thinking of it as an overpriced igloo is not the best perspective. Igloos don't come with bottom drain, gasketed/fitted false bottom, thermowell, ball valve, etc -- these things cost money. (Being constructed from stainless is obviously an incremental cost but it is not without value.) Having built an MLT from a cooler, I was surprised at what I spent by the time it was done.

My view (and the reason I bought it) is that it is an insulated mash kettle. And that was why I used the term purpose-built, it's really a piece of gear that is designed to be exceedingly good at what it's intended for.

Hope that helps! :mug:

I also agree that using a 20 gallon vessel for 5 gallon batches isn't going to cause a discernible difference.

I think it came from Palmer's book, but you could always use the old trick were you place a piece of aluminum foil over the grain bed to further insulate it from the larger headspace. You should be GTG.

Cheers!:mug:

I think SS Brewtech is making a huge mistake in their marketing by selling this as an overpriced, stainless water cooler--they should be selling it as an insulated kettle and accessorizing it as such. Hell, I'd gladly buy two more if they would put tri clamp element ports in them. I haven't yet decided if I will use for HLT, and just heat the HLT water with another RIMS tube. Alas, so much stainless, so little disposable income..

I would have had one of the 10 gallons when they first launched if they had tri-clamp. I just don't know if I can ever go back from those.

I would have had one of the 10 gallons when they first launched if they had tri-clamp. I just don't know if I can ever go back from those.

I prefer camlocks when it comes to the hot side. Tri clover are better for the cold side were sterilization is important but otherwise they are more difficult to use with more parts lying around and I fail to see any advantage of them for the hot side of the brewery... Stainless camlocks are quick and easy to use. Just my opinion from having both though...

You should not be concerned about mashing for 5 gals in a 20 gal. I am not sure why their FAQ would state this. It's simply wrong.

I, and many (countless) others use 20+ gal mash tuns to mash for 5 gal batches with great success. At the end of the day, if you can maintain the proper temp, your conversion will be a success. Consider that many folks use rectangular coolers to mash and you can see why the concern of 'grain bed spread' is a non-issue.

My opinion is get the biggest size you can afford. 20 gal MT is big enough for most 10 gal batches. If you ever want to brew 10 gals, you will need it anyway.

I agree, I have a 15.5 gallon mashtun and have come close to running out of space with some bigger 11 gallon brews... I would go taller and more narrow myself if I had to do it again only because I feel it would be more even and effective for a sparge. things like the bottom drain are nice to have but besides saving my a quart or two of sparge water I dont see any advantage since I dont waste time scooping my grain out and cleaning in place... That may change if I become weaker with age someday but by then there will be some different new setup I'll want for sure...

I prefer camlocks when it comes to the hot side. Tri clover are better for the cold side were sterilization is important but otherwise they are more difficult to use with more parts lying around and I fail to see any advantage of them for the hot side of the brewery... Stainless camlocks are quick and easy to use. Just my opinion from having both though...

I use both tri-clamp and camlock at work, and enjoy both. I guess I should have stated that I hate using anything with threads. I was piecing together a camlock/tri-clamp setup for my current equipment that I could use with whatever custom setup I get in the next few months.

I was looking into the Infussion Mash Tun and found this "interesting" thread on a Google search. Kinda like going to a hockey game, some folks seem to enjoy the fight more that the event (in this case a pretty good informational write up). Thanks for the first hand information mfabe.

Without getting into all that, here are a couple of interesting developments:

1. they have designed a bulkhead fitting for recirculating without removing the lid. They also sell a recirculating mainfold that lays on the mash bed and can be replaced with a volauf attachment.

2. step mashing is available to those folks with infusion mash tuns (plastic beverage cooler included).

Pretty ingenious design - I applaud the inventor.

Chapman sells a similar stainless insulated mash tun now, although not quite as refined as the Ss version they are priced accordingly.

Chapman sells a similar stainless insulated mash tun now, although not quite as refined as the Ss version they are priced accordingly. The have them in 15 and 20 gallon sizes as well.

I was looking into the Infussion Mash Tun and found this "interesting" thread on a Google search. Kinda like going to a hockey game, some folks seem to enjoy the fight more that the event (in this case a pretty good informational write up). Thanks for the first hand information mfabe.

Without getting into all that, here are a couple of interesting developments:

1. they have designed a bulkhead fitting for recirculating without removing the lid. They also sell a recirculating mainfold that lays on the mash bed and can be replaced with a volauf attachment.

2. step mashing is available to those folks with infusion mash tuns (plastic beverage cooler included).

Pretty ingenious design - I applaud the inventor.

Those are some nice accessories. I agree that they are doing some cool designs.

See you just made my point for me with your simple minded reasoning.
its a kettle to hold grain either to hold temps itself or just to hold the grain with a rims or herms system maintains the temps. (it performs different primary functions in each different setup which is another point I was trying to make) Its not for showing off and it will not get you laid. (or obviously in your case it is to show off) BUT AGAIN, COSMETICS ASIDE!! I was asking what the real practical advantages were.

What constitutes the difference between your superior mashtun and "Junk" in this case? marketing price and looks.... This apparently adds up to prestige in your mind from your comments. For someone whos primary purpose for owning this is to make good beer this sillyness is not important.

This are the differences you are a prime example of the mentality im talking about. This is a chinese made mashtun not a german automobile Its like arguing that a silver spoon is vastly superior to a stainless one and also agueing that its not because of the fact that it costs more but because that silver spoon has performance benefits but when asked to explain them theres just silence.... so what if the silver tarnishes and is soft... (Just like ignoring the huge weight and inconvenience factor of moving one of these mash tuns around or any other advantage that may have no merit depending on setup and use) Its ok to talk up the silver spoon but when it comes to validating any of the real stuff it seems peopl here dont want to here it because it interferes with their propoganda to convince themselves its more of an upgrade than reality shows.

because the real primary reasoning in most owners eyes will not be functional but cosmetic. Fine but you shouldnt try to convince others that your choice was the correct one for other reasons than you have more money and that means you can affords to spend more it on less important things. then to have the typical additude that everything but your brewery jewelry is junk because

BTW drive that mercedes an hyundai side by side with equal usage for 5 years and tell me what the practical benefit is then when you compare service and maintenance costs...between the two. The truth is the hyundai will likely perform the task of a reliable automobile more cost effectively. You know what they say a fool is easily separated from him money... Nothing wrong with flaunting it if you got it I guess especially if it makes you feel better about yourself but to imply economical choices are all junk just because of the lack of completely uneeded luxuries is foolish.

Really late to this party, but my 2 cents..

First and foremost, it's a friggen coooool piece of gear!

I've got a 14 gal cooler, about two years old. It's warped, scratched up on the inside, and the inside is delaminating from the outer case. It holds mash temps fine... But, it's gonna fail on me one of these days. This SS tun looks like it's built tough, and built for the sole purpose of MASHING.

I've got a Prius. But, I went out and bought a mustang GT 5.0 premium with a track pack.. I've modded it up... Guess what? It's got no practical advantage over my Prius... In fact, it could be a negative as practicality is concerned... Burns tons of gas, tires wear out fast, sucks more money for mods.... But ya know what? It's fun as hell to drive! And, it looks badass...

Kinda like this SS mashtun. Quality piece of gear that does what a plastic cooler does. Gets from point A to point B. But, it looks badass! That's practical enough in my book, along with the other added benefits. I don't expect this to warp on me in two years, or fail from delaminating.

Why brew your own beer in the first place? You can just go buy it and spend less when you consider all the ingredients, equipment and time it takes... Tell me, what's the practicality in that??? Seems foolish to burn time and money into something that isn't necessary. Or, it's a hobby that make you happy! And, some people enjoy buying nicer gear while they play with their hobby!

Penny pinch on everything in life as much as you like.. But in the end, it doesn't matter. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my shiny toys

Damn dude, chill out and grab a homebrew! Oh, wait... Just snag a six pack at the store, that'd be the more practical thing to do

Really late to this party, but my 2 cents..

First and foremost, it's a friggen coooool piece of gear!

I've got a 14 gal cooler, about two years old. It's warped, scratched up on the inside, and the inside is delaminating from the outer case. It holds mash temps fine... But, it's gonna fail on me one of these days. This SS tun looks like it's built tough, and built for the sole purpose of MASHING.

I've got a Prius. But, I went out and bought a mustang GT 5.0 premium with a track pack.. I've modded it up... Guess what? It's got no practical advantage over my Prius... In fact, it could be a negative as practicality is concerned... Burns tons of gas, tires wear out fast, sucks more money for mods.... But ya know what? It's fun as hell to drive! And, it looks badass...

Kinda like this SS mashtun. Quality piece of gear that does what a plastic cooler does. Gets from point A to point B. But, it looks badass! That's practical enough in my book, along with the other added benefits. I don't expect this to warp on me in two years, or fail from delaminating.

Why brew your own beer in the first place? You can just go buy it and spend less when you consider all the ingredients, equipment and time it takes... Tell me, what's the practicality in that??? Seems foolish to burn time and money into something that isn't necessary. Or, it's a hobby that make you happy! And, some people enjoy buying nicer gear while they play with their hobby!

Penny pinch on everything in life as much as you like.. But in the end, it doesn't matter. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my shiny toys

Damn dude, chill out and grab a homebrew! Oh, wait... Just snag a six pack at the store, that'd be the more practical thing to do
Ok I'll bite since the thread is dead.

I guess you missed where I said over and over besides the cosmetic advantages.. and I agreed it would last longer as long as someone was carefull when moving and cleaning it so it doesnt get all dinged up.

You just repeated the point I was trying to make like the other guy did..

Glad you like it and theres nothing wrong with buying it for looks or cool factor .. Its the other "advantages" I was questioning like whats the point if your going to use a rims or herms? a stainless kettle looks just as cool and is easier to clean and move in that case..

In any case from the sound of it in the other thread looks like these may not hold temps as well as the plastic coolers. At least it looks cool right?
maybe you can get it in gold plating and really impress your friends? That would make it really "friggen cool!"
I am kidding.
I get it man Ive owned a couple corvettes myself and have a rather loud hot rodded one now..... But if someone comes on the corvette forum talking about how they bought the corvette because it had advantages that made more reliable and economical. I would question them just as I did here.. Its one thing to BS oneself but dont expect people not to try to knock down your house of cards..

Lol, yeah..... Its all good.. I see what your trying to say.

So, I guess I will say this: One major advantage, which I stated above, I do not expect this thing to fall apart on me in two years. I believe this is built to last a lifetime. That, right there, is worth the price of admission! I like quality products that are built to last... Yeah, they cost more up front, but in the end they usually prove to be the right decision! My plastic, toxic filled cooler was cheap, but after I spent money on building the copper manifold, ball valve, etc., price point went up in the neighborhood of $150. $250 more, now I got gear that will last me the rest of my brewing career... AND, I bet you money I could sell this piece of gear for a decent cost down the road if I decided not to brew anymore. I doubt I could GIVE away my cooler mash tun! Theres a couple more advantages!

Happy brewing

sorry to bring back an old thread but does your digital thermometer have a shut off or do you have to remove the batteries? or am I completely missing something?

mine does not seem to have a shut off switch for it anywhere and I have to take the batteries out every time I use it which is a PITA. other than that this MT is flawless!

sorry to bring back an old thread but does your digital thermometer have a shut off or do you have to remove the batteries? or am I completely missing something?

mine does not seem to have a shut off switch for it anywhere and I have to take the batteries out every time I use it which is a PITA. other than that this MT is flawless!

You have to remove the batteries to shut it off. IMO the thermometer is a complete piece of crap. However, it does appear to be accurate.

You have to remove the batteries to shut it off. IMO the thermometer is a complete piece of crap. However, it does appear to be accurate.

it feels chincy and cheap. I do not like the no shut off. I want to look into a thermometer with an adjustable face to tilit it up a bit more on both my MT and BK from them. quality build, too bad they cheaped out there

Back