You'd think I'd scored some great weed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I came home all excited from my LHBS today with 3 oz. of Cascade hops and you'd have thought I just scored a few grams of some really great weed or something. I feel a bit silly now, but I was opening the baggies and sniffing the stuff on the way home (I'll admit it did smell pretty darn good).

Who'd have thought a year ago that we would think of hops as anything but a basic ingredient in beer?

I'm already making plans to start growing my own this spring.

Am I over-reacting a bit to the shortage?

McCall St. Brewer said:
but I was opening the baggies and sniffing the stuff on the way home (I'll admit it did smell pretty darn good).

it would have made a funny 'Cops' moment to get pulled over cause they saw you sniffing a bag of green stuff....:rockin:

LMAO - mr 20 k's that's funny ****

i'm jsut saying hops are out there guys - yea you're going to pay for em dearly...but for now they are available. instead of complaining about the "hops shortage" why not suck it up and get some

Regarding the hops shortage, it's funny. You can go all over the web to the various big online homebrew suppliers and they seem to be sold out of practically everything, yet my LHBS says he has plenty of hops-- you just have to pay more for them. I think I paid about $5.75 for 3 ounces today.

Nice. My guy is already up to minimum $3 per ounce, more for certain varieties. He's out of almost exactly 1/2 of his usual varieties.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Regarding the hops shortage, it's funny. You can go all over the web to the various big online homebrew suppliers and they seem to be sold out of practically everything, yet my LHBS says he has plenty of hops-- you just have to pay more for them. I think I paid about $5.75 for 3 ounces today.

Or they are really really old. I have my suspicions with my LHBS, but I am going to remain blissfully ignorant for now.

Picked up some hops yesterday at my LHBS for 2.50 per oz. with a 4 oz. max. per variety. Ouch. I scratched my plans for a double IPA for now. 3 months ago the domestic hops were 0.80 per oz. Grain went up about 20% across the board. No big deal, I can get MO for 1.20/lb. For some reason, they are pricing the domestic 2-row at the same price. I think I'll focus on British style ales.

I toyed with the idea of growing hops. I don't think it pencils out. Besides, what variety are you going to plant?

Murphys law, by the time you wait 2 seasons, the hop shortage will be over.

gonzo brewer said:
Murphys law, by the time you wait 2 seasons, the hop shortage will be over.

Who cares you still get practically free hops and the enjoyment of growing them.
Ill be plating hops this year for sure.

I was in North Carolina last week. My brother and I went to a LHBS there, and found 10oz of Cascade in the freezer at $1.50 per ounce! We split them. Now I have 5oz of Cascades that I am saving for a rainy day. Score!

i just vacuum sealed a bunch of whole cascade hops. looks like buds all smashed up.

My LHBS just raised the price. But at 3.50 for two ounces it looks like I'm still doing better than some.

Latest posts

Back