Chrome plated Brass and Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
Is this combo a no-no? Looked in How to Brew and nothing really specific. Anyone know? I have a utility pump I would like to use for transfer on my future stand and the impeller housing is chrome plated brass.

I don't think the chrome plated brass would be your biggest problem. One of the most important selling points of the food-grade pumps people are using for hot wort transfer is that it's a magnetic impeller drive, so the impeller is completely sealed inside the housing, thus no bearings or grease can contact the wort. I am guessing that since your pump has a metal impeller housing that it's direct drive?

That is correct. It does have a metal drive. What effect would the drive have though on my finished beer? I don't see how much oil/grease could get into the metal housing. It is self priming and is separated from the motor. Other people have mentioned that they are using similar pumps. I wonder if they have had any issues...maybe another post.

I think the issue is that the bearings/bushings that hold the shaft are likely to have some kind of grease/oil in them. That probably wouldn't be a big problem at room temperature, but when you are pumping near-boiling wort through it, it could very well be hot enough to make the grease/oil runny enough that it could be more likely to make its way into your wort.

I don't know how big a deal it would be, especially without seeing the insides of your pump. Maybe there is little (or no) lubrication in your bearings/bushings, making it a moot point. If there is, perhaps it would be possible to clean them out thoroughly and use some kind of food-safe lubricant instead?

There didn't appear to be any lubricant. I can put some food grade silicone grease like for my kegs on it if needed. I may post something about this as a topic.

Back