Recipe Help... Too Hoppy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHDNSD

Reaction score
Hello all,
Here is an IPA recipe that I am just about to brew but I'm concerned about the hop level. I don't want over the top hoppiness, but I do want some noticable. Any suggestions are appreciated. This will be a 10 gal. finished batch. All hops are pellet.

20 lbs. Two-row
1 lbs. Crystal 10L
1 lbs. Crystal 40L
1 lbs. Dextrin

1.5 oz. Amarillo 8.5%, 12.8 AAU 90 mins
1.5 oz. Chinook 18%, 27 AAU 90 mins
1.5 oz. Centennial 8% 90 mins
1.5 oz. Amarillo 60 mins
1.5 oz. Chinook 60 mins
1.5 oz. Centennial 60 mins
1 oz. Amarillo 0 mins steeped
1 oz. Chinook 0 mins steeped
1 oz. Centennial steeped 15 mins after flame out
1 oz. Amarillo dry hop secondary
1 oz. Chinook dry hop secondary

1056 yeast cake from Lagunitas IPA clone

Maybe give us some commercial examples you consider too hoppy and not hoppy enough.

Doesn't sound excessive, although you don't have any flavor adds (15-20 min. boil) which is odd in an IPA. I'd be inclined to mix the bittering hops and do equal adds at 90/60/20. The 15 min. post-flameout add, will the wort still be hot or is this just before dumping in the fermenter? I haven't run across that timing before.

When most people talk about hoppiness, they are referring to hop aroma. Dry hop or not as necessary.

I'd probably not dry hop or steep with chinook- I think that might be kind of harsh. I'd personally either leave those additions out, or use a different hops variety there. And I'd follow David_42's advice on the flavor hops.

Otherwise, I like it.

Thank you all, that was the opions I was looking for. I'll change the additions to 30 and 15 mins and save a little left over for a dry hop if necessary. Maybe the Amarillo.
Going fishing now so I'll brew tonight I think.

my last beer had 8oz of hops in it it came out amazing. But i love hoppy beers.

Have you ever had Dog Fish Head 90min IPA? that to me is the right amount of hops. The 120 is amazing to but i can't drink more that 2 of them before i'm good!

Back