Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bring it back with the same conversation. I took my gal to Schmidt's for valentines day last year. The table next to us were some loudmouths. I heard their drink order. The waiter started telling them about the great German beer selection that they have and the one guy interrupts the waiter and says, "I don't want none of that fancy stuff. I want a real beer. Budweiser in a bottle."

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Me to waitstaff at brewery beerhall today: "Could you tell me the malt and hops in today's SMASH?"
Waitstaff: "I 'd be happy to check."
Waitstaff: "Simcoe is the hop"
Me: Dumb underwhelmed silence, then "Thankyou, I'll have the Black IPA."

...and yes, I did feel stupid for not pressing the issue, but the joint was busy.

Me to waitstaff at brewery beerhall today: "Could you tell me the malt and hops in today's SMASH?"
Waitstaff: "I 'd be happy to check."
Waitstaff: "Simcoe is the hop"
Me: Dumb underwhelmed silence, then "Thankyou, I'll have the Black IPA."

...and yes, I did feel stupid for not pressing the issue, but the joint was busy.

Maybe nobody close at hand knew the malt, especially if they were busy.

Maybe nobody close at hand knew the malt, especially if they were busy.

True, true. The chalkboard could have revealed them, however. I'm sure >90% of the clientelle couldn't tell you what a SMASH is. Could be an icebreaker for the waitstaff. "By the way we're featuring a SMASH today with Simcoe and blah, blab... Several of our customer..." you get the picture.

Maybe I think too much like a marketer.

What does go well with Simcoe in a SMASH?

True, true. The chalkboard could have revealed them, however. I'm sure >90% of the clientelle couldn't tell you what a SMASH is. Could be an icebreaker for the waitstaff. "By the way we're featuring a SMASH today with Simcoe and blah, blab... Several of our customer..." you get the picture.

Maybe I think too much like a marketer.

What does go well with Simcoe in a SMASH?

My first all grain brew was a SMASH with just 2-row pale malt and Simcoe. It was great! The pale malt let the Simcoe shine.

Do tell...Simcoe additions when against what weight for what size batch?

It was Northern Brewer's 5gal SMASH kit.

7.75lbs pale malt, single infusion mash at 149°F for 60min.

3oz Simcoe hops: 0.5oz at 60min, 0.5oz at 15min, 1oz at 5min, 1oz of dry hops.

Because it was my first time with all grain, I didn't keep the mash temp high enough, had to add more hot water, etc. But it still turned out well. Lot's of lemony citrus.

The next SMASH I tried, I used 8lbs of pale malt and swapped Galaxy for Simcoe. Otherwise, same recipe. It didn't come out as well. Still decent, just not as good.

You remind me of my father. He didn't discriminate at all though. He hated everyone.

I have a button on my green flight that states "I don't discriminate. I hate everyone." I feel that people are dangerous animals with more intelligence than they know how to handle.

yesterday day I got the "man's beer" comment. I stopped in the local liquor store & picked up some Mike's Black Cherry for my wife. older guy behind me scoffed & made the comment. he was holding two 12 packs Coors Light. I pulled the Dr. Evil "rrrriiiiiiggghhht...." & stated "I have beers in my basement that would make you cry." he looked like he wanted to hit me. bwahahahaa!!

Tonight I bought beer on the way home at the gas station , which I usually don't do.
Funny how people are still so un- educated about beer
Clerk- that boulevard beer get you real ducked up?
Me- some of it does
Clerk- really?
Me- ya but im used to drinking that "type" of beer.

I didn't even want to use the words craft beer.some people will never get it

Sent from richard simmons' living room

Went to a beer fest over the weekend. It really disappointed me the lack of knowledge that some of the servers had about the beers they were serving. I would ask fairly simple questions and then watch their faces get all contorted with confusion as the answers weren't on the "tasting notes" sheet they were given and what was printed in the brochure.

However when I did find someone who knew their stuff. The knowledge I pulled from them on some items was great. I had some really great conversation with a Cider Brewery that went into the depths of the yeast strains they use and temps they ferment at.

Went to a beer fest over the weekend. It really disappointed me the lack of knowledge that some of the servers had about the beers they were serving. I would ask fairly simple questions and then watch their faces get all contorted with confusion as the answers weren't on the "tasting notes" sheet they were given and what was printed in the brochure.

However when I did find someone who knew their stuff. The knowledge I pulled from them on some items was great. I had some really great conversation with a Cider Brewery that went into the depths of the yeast strains they use and temps they ferment at.

99% of those servers are local volunteers and have nothing to do with the brewery. they are assigned their posts and, unless they have prior knowledge of the beer they're pouring, all they have to go by are the tasting notes. and the samples they're allowed before they start their shift

most breweries don't even send a representative to those fests and even when they do, it is often someone not involved with the brewing process at all.

I went to a good craft beer bar/restaurant in Evanston IL last night with my wife. They had a beer on the menu that was called Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I was unfamiliar with it so I asked the bartender what style of beer it was. She replied that it was aged in barrels but it wasn't heavy and strong like a stout because it's an ale.

I went to a good craft beer bar/restaurant in Evanston IL last night with my wife. They had a beer on the menu that was called Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I was unfamiliar with it so I asked the bartender what style of beer it was. She replied that it was aged in barrels but it wasn't heavy and strong like a stout because it's an ale.

It's listed as a strong ale. My buddy loves that beer. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'm not a big bourbon fan either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Went to a beer fest over the weekend. It really disappointed me the lack of knowledge that some of the servers had about the beers they were serving.

Put yourself in the brewery's shoes. Who do you think will move more pints of your beer? A portly bearded middle aged guy with a socially awkward demeanor who knows every intimate detail of the beer, or a pair of 22-year old co-eds in tight shirts who just read what's on the tap handles?

a pair of 22-year old co-eds in tight shirts who just read what's on the tap handles?

yeah, 99% of servers aren't them, either, unless they're pouring for BMC. then those are the shortest lines at the festival, with all the craft beer choices available

Had a guy this morning tell me how he couldn't stand drinking bud light, miller, or any of the such for lack of flavor.... But michelob ultra with the cactus fruit was his favorite..

I love the link at the bottom asking which is the redneck beer

I love the link at the bottom asking which is the redneck beer

That was hilarious, I think this was my favorite answer:

"They are both cheap, crappy beers, and as such favored by rednecks.

Standard stereotypes:

Redneck: Bud, Coors, Busch
Frat Boy: Natty Ice/Light, Corona
Yuppie/Hipster/Club Poser: Heineken, Stella, Guinness, Miller
Blue collar: Schlitz, PBR, Genesee
Homeless: Colt 45, Olde English 800"

yeah, 99% of servers aren't them, either, unless they're pouring for BMC. then those are the shortest lines at the festival, with all the craft beer choices available

The last festival I volunteered for, I was assigned to the BMC tables, who gave me my choice of where to work. I think I served Goose Island well. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain what a Saison was though. Whenever someone would ask one of the other servers, they always pointed to me and said "ask him".

I went into a local upscale restaurant for happy hour, about when I was just started brewing, and really getting into craft beer. The owner was bartending, so I asked what he had on tap. I chose Lagunitas Czech Pilsner, I was unfamiliar with the brand then. I really liked it, so I asked where it was made?
"Uh, Czechoslovakia, I think" He replied.
With a name like "Lagunitas" I was pretty sure it was from California, but I didn't embarrass the guy.

Haha this is great " Chill both beers. Start with the Coors Light. You will hit the wall after several. Then move to Bud Light. While they may not sufficiently jerk off your sweetass epicurean tongue, they will make the next morning at work less ****ty."

That was hilarious, I think this was my favorite answer:

"They are both cheap, crappy beers, and as such favored by rednecks.

Standard stereotypes:

Redneck: Bud, Coors, Busch
Frat Boy: Natty Ice/Light, Corona
Yuppie/Hipster/Club Poser: Heineken, Stella, Guinness, Miller
Blue collar: Schlitz, PBR, Genesee
Homeless: Colt 45, Olde English 800"

Hipsters have taken over PBR in big cities, because it has (had) a reputation as a blue collar beer. Hipsters seem to think that pretending to be blue collar is authentic and ironic at the same time.

Put yourself in the brewery's shoes. Who do you think will move more pints of your beer? A portly bearded middle aged guy with a socially awkward demeanor who knows every intimate detail of the beer, or a pair of 22-year old co-eds in tight shirts who just read what's on the tap handles?

I would take the hot chick over the extremely knowledgeable brewer ANY day. :D

Well I was at home depot yesterday buying a few more buckets to put more grain in (this seems to be never ending). I went to the self check and a friendly lady worker asked me what type of project I was working on. I told her that I brewed beer and before I could say what the buckets were for, she replied "O so those are gonna be kegs?" :smack:

I chuckled and told her it was just for grain storage. She replied that she didnt know much about beer, just that they are three types; ales, lagers and another one she couldnt think of. I told her that she knew more then she thought and those were the only two types. Now to turn my homer buckets into kegs :D

Well I was at home depot yesterday buying a few more buckets to put more grain in (this seems to be never ending). I went to the self check and a friendly lady worker asked me what type of project I was working on. I told her that I brewed beer and before I could say what the buckets were for, she replied "O so those are gonna be kegs?" :smack:

I chuckled and told her it was just for grain storage. She replied that she didnt know much about beer, just that they are three types; ales, lagers and another one she couldnt think of. I told her that she knew more then she thought and those were the only two types. Now to turn my homer buckets into kegs :D

A lot of people do. Whether they should or not.

Back