Safbrew W-06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I've got some W-06 in the fridge and was wondering what it would be best for: witbier or hefeweizen?

Isn't SafBrew WB-06 a true belgian strain of yeast? Probably be better in a Witbier, if that's the case, considering a Wit is more of a belgian beer than hefes.

Ultimately, though, it's whatever you feel like making. Homebrewing is just one big experiment anyway, right?

I just brewed a batch of beer using WB-06 and my ferm temps were on the high side (72-74*F). It produced a strong banana flavor and smell, but after 2 weeks of conditioning in the bottle the banana taste was gone but the smell was still there. Now 4 weeks later it has no banana flavor or smell. I bottled it after 3 weeks in the primary.

WB-06 is a weird one. Some folks swear by it for American Wheats, I guess because, as goodsuds says, the banana flavor is very mild, or drops off completely. I used it once on a Weizenbock and liked it (but it took like 6 months to smooth out) and once in a split batch Dunkleweizen, and dumped it after several weeks. It was nasty, spicy and weird.

Bottom line for me is that I won't be using WB-06 again in a Hefeweizen, but I think it might be OK in a Wit.

Hmm... what to do, what to do.

I've seen others mentioning good results for a hefe with the WB-06, though reviews overall are pretty mixed.

I've also got some S-33 knocking around, which is meant to be pretty good for a Wit. Should I blend them?

I do fancy making a hefe though, so I may take a gamble...

If you're dead set on using the WB-06 for a Hefeweizen I would suggest keeping the temps low. Most everything I've read about getting good results with it suggests keeping the temps in the low to mid 60's.

Hmm... what to do, what to do.

I've seen others mentioning good results for a hefe with the WB-06, though reviews overall are pretty mixed.

I've also got some S-33 knocking around, which is meant to be pretty good for a Wit. Should I blend them?

I do fancy making a hefe though, so I may take a gamble...

S-33 is NOT a belgian yeast. It is pretty widely believed to be the old EDME strain- unless you really mess with it, it is fairly clean and a touch bready. It is not meant for hefes or wits not matter what the manufacturer says.

S-33 is NOT a belgian yeast. It is pretty widely believed to be the old EDME strain- unless you really mess with it, it is fairly clean and a touch bready. It is not meant for hefes or wits not matter what the manufacturer says.

Interesting - others on here have recommended using S-33 for a Wit, despite it being the old EDME strain. What would you recommend doing with this yeast then?

I also have some T-58 lying around, which others have recommended using for a Belgian Ale. What are your thoughts on that yeast?

I just brewed a batch of beer using WB-06 and my ferm temps were on the high side (72-74*F). It produced a strong banana flavor and smell, but after 2 weeks of conditioning in the bottle the banana taste was gone but the smell was still there. Now 4 weeks later it has no banana flavor or smell. I bottled it after 3 weeks in the primary.

I did the EXACT same thing. I tried a bottle after about 8 days. Carbonation was there, but the banana was overpowering! I was bummed thinking I may have made a batch I couldn't drink. Tried another bottle at 14 days and the banana is almost gone and the hops are coming through:D

MikeFallopian said:
Interesting - others on here have recommended using S-33 for a Wit, despite it being the old EDME strain. What would you recommend doing with this yeast then?

I also have some T-58 lying around, which others have recommended using for a Belgian Ale. What are your thoughts on that yeast?

I'd recommend throwing it in the trash. It isn't great yeast. The only time I had it where it was passable was a cream ale. And I cannot believe others have said it is a Belgian yeast. I guess advice is just that. Ive actually used it and I'm very skeptical of others who say they have and it resembled anything close to a wit yeast. T-58 is indeed more Belgian. And I've not used that, I've tasted beers with it both commercially and homebrew, and I thought it was good. But I won't give any advice on that since I've personally not used it.

I've had good results with W-06; fermented at 64, cold crashed, and secondary for two weeks. Some clove, little banana flavor. I'd say it's a more traditional Heffe. I have not had great luck with T-58, fermented too high and yielded some sulfur flavors, but I've been told it is more Belgian wit-like.

I had some interesting outcomes from the WB-06 yeast...

At bottling it tasted very hefe-like with lots of clove and banana. The first few bottles were the same, and then it became more bubblegum-like and quite unenjoyable as that flavour was so pronounced.

I left them for a while (about two months) and decided to sample one tonight - the bubblegum has subsided and it now tastes like a wit-hefe hybrid with subtle banana, some clove and spice. It's very, very nice now, though couldn't be described as either a hefe or a wit! A very refreshing beer, and very interesting.

One of the most interesting things is that, though cloudy and yeasty before, this beer has now completely cleared! The yeast has formed a very tight and compact sediment at the bottom and is not remaining in suspension. Sound strange?

I should also say that used Maris Otter in this beer instead Pilsner which would change the flavour profile.

Latest posts

Back