Clone for Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Ranged_Eskimo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet. It's a black IPA that is fantastic; it's creamy and smooth almost like the mouthfeel of a milk stout. The flavor was amazing and it is by far one of the better black IPA's I've had (Stone's 15 year anniversary is right there too.)

Is there anyone out there that has tried this and attempted to replicate it. I'd really like to try brewing this instead of getting popped at the store for 7 bucks a bomber.

+1 On this beer...its great :mug: Would definitely be interested in trying it out if anyone has can figure out the grain bill.

+1 On this beer...its great :mug: Would definitely be interested in trying it out if anyone has can figure out the grain bill.

Glad they finally got some stuff down to Texas. The article written about people complaining about names like Tramp Stamp (which is also excellent, just destroyed that bottle last night) and them simply telling the protesters to shove it made the brewery even more likeable.

I love the clown shoes stuff. I think I actually like it more because of the names. And yes, I think the tramp stamp was the first I tried...bought for the novelty of the name and ended up loving it.

So I did like some actually motivated people do and emailed the brewery... Here's the response I got:

Hey Andrew-

Thanks for your kind words! I don't have access to the exact recipe, but I can give you info on the specialty ingredients so you can try your hand at making your own version of Hoppy Feet.

Black Patent Malt
roasted barley
columbus and amarillo both in the kettle and dry hopped
Chico Yeast

I can reach out to Dan, our brewer, if you'd like more info on specifics.

Cheers!

Sean Geary
Brand Manager
Clown Shoes Beers

This is a good start. Obviously I replied asking him to forward my request to the Head brewer. We shall see what happens!

Hoppy Feet 1.5 is fantastic, cant remember if I had the original. The 1.5 is just the hoppier Imperial version I believe.

Since not much info has been forthcoming, how about we try a starting point and see how people see fit to modify? Here's my go..

11-12 lbs. 2-row or Marris otter
.5 lbs. caramel malt
.25 black patent
.25 roasted barley

IPA-like hop schedule with Amarillo and Columbus.

???

I haven't even tried it, but it sounds good and I'm just trying do deduce from what people have said.

D

Since not much info has been forthcoming, how about we try a starting point and see how people see fit to modify? Here's my go..

.5 lbs. caramel malt
.25 black patent
.25 roasted barley

???

I haven't even tried it, but it sounds good and I'm just trying do deduce from what people have said.

D

I've never had this beer, but is there really roasted barley in it? Not sure if I'd like that.

Maaaan... I know I get an initial chocolate/dark choc. flavor followed by slight roasty then the good ol' hop note. Then awesome. Definitely finishes with awesome. Need to add awesome to the recipe.

I am set to brew a black ipa just throwing in 12oz black. did not have carafa, may be roasty, but so is clown shoes version!

.5 lbs. caramel malt
.25 black patent
.25 roasted barley

???

D

I'm going to give this a go. It's a great beer, one of my all time favourites. How did your first effort go? Any recommended adjustments?

Resurecting this. Did any of you actually go ahead with this recipe? Any tasting notes or comparison to the original? Also, did anyone actually hear back from the master brewer at Clown Shoes? I would love to see if they would tell me anything about Space Cake.

Just starting to brew and following this thread as well. I'd love to find this recipe!

Back