equivilant brewers best read ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjooeell

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing. this being my third batch and so far loving it. my only concern is the cost of the beer kits. is it cheaper and better to buy individual ingredients? I am partial to the Brewers Best Red Ale does anyone no where the best place to buy the same ingredients separately with the same quality? or should I just stick with the kits. I really don't want to waste a month on experimenting if i don't have to...:mug:

You can pretty much buy the kits cheaper than putting the ingredients together unless you go crazy on bulk purchasing. And I mean crazy!

At least that's how it is at my lhbs.

If you buy from AHS it is practically the same price for kits vs. buying all parts separate. In some cases where you can't buy small packages (i.e. 1/4 oz hops) it can be cheaper to buy the kit.

Depends on your brewing schedules and amount of finances available.

I buy bulk only. 55# boxes of DME...sometimes 3 at a time...but it lasts...and hops by the pound. Overall the costs come way down.

Of course, going all grain reduces the costs also, but you'll need more up front $$$ for the equipment.

If you are going to brew the same recipe at least once a month you can probably save a considerable amount by buying in bulk. Otherwise the price difference is going to be pretty small.
Maybe and online store like leeners.com or grapeandgranary.com will have a better price on your kit. Don't forget to take into account shipping.
Craig

Back