Is clear vinyl tubing safe in a cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnutting

Reaction score
I am building a MLT out of a cooler which I had laying around the house. I have built the copper manifold and am having difficulty connecting it to the bulkhead. I was thinking of using a small piece of clear 1/2" vinyl tubing to connect it.

My question is: Do you think that it will hold up in a MLT? My initial concern is the heat. I don't think it will that big of a deal because it will never go above 170F or so anyway and there is no real pressure on the line. The piece is only going to be about 1 1/2" - 2" long and will have a hose clamp holding it secure on each end.

What do all you home brewing experts think?

To avoid the possibility theat it might soften and collapse, slip a stainless steel spring inside. That short is probably no prob, but can you slide a piece of pipe inside, nearly full length? That would be crush prooof.

I only use a small length of vinyl tubing in my mash tun but I've had no issue.

Vinyl is supposed to be one of the worst plastics for food use, but whatever. Well, PVC to be specific, not sure if vinyl tubing is the same thing.

I used to use the vinyl tubing with the braid inside. I think it's dishwasher supply line. That stuff is great, I also use a length of it as the racking hose from the ball valve on the mash tun to the kettle and it doesn't get so hot you can't hold onto it.

Back