waiting for Brutus 10 plans, but a question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
actually 2 questions--just ordered brutus 10 plans from BYO, does Lonnie get some money off this? Sure hope so...

2d Question--what diameter mash tun, HLT, BK is brutus 10 designed for? Asking because I'm looking at all of these things from Stout Tanks -- http://conical-fermenter.com/ --and they are 20 inch diameter. And they need a deposit in a few days for January delivery. Really like the kettle design w/ tangential port for whirlpooling.... and I need the capacity for brewpub brewing 1bbl batches 2x a week...but hoping I won't have to modify the brutus plans too much to do it.

Howdy! Thanks for ordering the plans... No, I don't make anything off my plans and that's cool by me. I got a small article payment when I published and that's good enough!

Stout tanks, if I had to do it all over again, I am sure these are the pots I would go with! If they care to send me a set for testing purposes, well that's cool by me too! :)

At the size you are looking at, you will have to make the frame bigger for sure, but that's not a big deal at all. I designed the frame for my pots which are 16" dia, or converted kegs fit great as well. You will have to go bigger, and seeing how these tanks have some pretty big handles also, you will want to make sure to allow room so they don't hit each other sitting side by side.

Not only Lonnie, But as you build find Kladue on here, a WEALTH of knowledge. Here's mine in it's almost completed state:
almost2.jpg

I have several batches through mine and LOVE it.

Good Luck and post pics of the build.

Thanks all, esp Lonnie, and no, Humann Brewing I did not expect a reply from the man himself.

That Mash Tun from Stout Tanks is 28.7 in tall if I read their drawing right, and I'm a short-legged 5-11. I might shorten the height of the Brutus a little so I don't have to stand on a step ladder to stir the mash. Mine's gonna sit more or less permanently under an open-sided shed in the courtyard/patio of my restaurant, I'm wondering if I can lose the casters.

Don't lose the casters and most importantly, buy quality ones. If you ever have to move the rig you'll be sorry without them because it's a heavy sucker. I also recommend cutting down the height just a bit. I wish I would have done that to mine and I'm 6'1".

IF you cut it down, just cut the legs from the middle rail down. You will want all of the space Lonnie has in the area between the top and middle rails. Also for safety reasons, that frame can get pretty hot.

X2 on the casters and make sure they LOCK. This whole rig is tall and heavy. can be top heavy with a full brew liquid volume. Mine tipped over on me as I was starting. Good thing it was any further on the process.

The way I get into mine is from the rear. When I am cooking I pull it away from the wall, heat build up is pretty good, and use a step ladder to stir the mash, I'm 6'1 also. If you are going to have it semi permanent setup then maybe pull it away from the back wall and build a small ledge behind it for stirring.

Back