Finally Brutus 10 begins!!! yes another thread..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Ok I finally have the plans in motion after years of lifting water and grain and wort around... I plan to cut and weld this weekend..Pics to follow. I have two converted kegs..got the kegs from a friend for next to nothing..March pump with high temp tubing and cpc high temp plastic QD's. The kegs are all weldless for now. I got a sweet deal on 2in x 2in .12 steel.. got 60 feet for 75 $ plus tax..(at cost)... three 10 tip jet burners(please do not start a jet burner discussion). Plan to use black pipe and a high pressure regulator with the burners...I have a 15 gallon kettle for the HLT and also a 10 gallon cooler for Mash so I can direct fire in keg or use cooler either option...plan to move to HERMS some day.

I use a CFC now and plan to go to plate chiller at some point to mount on to stand as well as water filtration to mount as well.

Jay

Good luck! Just finished mine too and wish I had done it sooner. Only one brew session with it so far but it was sweet. Enjoy the build, I'm kinda scratching my head now, not sure what to do now that the build is over. Guess I'll drink some beer and enjoy the family.

Thanks I will post pics next week..Did you guys go SS or steel? I got such a great deal on the steel had to go for it and plan to high temp paint it hope it works like it has for others.

Jay

Update:

Welding is close to being done. I think the hardest part was not the actual welding(which looks a bit ugly) but in fact keeping everything square. I got a large 90 degree angle magnet from Menards that helped out. Only a few more welds than on to grinding and painting.

J

Any advice on best method of prepping and cleaning the steel prior to painting. Also what methods of painting worked best for you to avoid any chipping..primer ?? ect....

Jay

I used steel also. Just sanded all the surfaces and painted using high temp muffler paint good to 1300'F. Used the system twice and the paint has held up better than expected.

I am also in the process of building a brewstand. I have built large smokers/bbq pits for years and am going to treat my brewstand as do the my cookers. Sand blasting and then Rust-Oleum high heat bbq paint from Lowes.

Ok Welding Done..Need to clean and paint...
IMG_16691.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_16671.JPG

Any advice on best method of prepping and cleaning the steel prior to painting. Also what methods of painting worked best for you to avoid any chipping..primer ?? ect....

Jay

I found that a flap disc on the good old angle grinder made prep a lot easier. Also would suggest you just go with the high temp grill paint. Not as slick looking (not glossy) but any other paint on the top of the stand will bubble and flake. I tried a primer and it didn't hold up well. Probably didn't use the right stuff, but found that the high temp grill paint w/out primer seems to be pretty durable.

I've seen some folks install grills to lift the kegs off the stand because anywhere the kegs touch the stand you'll likely get some chipping. I've heard that powder coating is also pretty resilient.

Looking good so far!

I have high temp paint as well as paint for car engine that is rated to 2000 and can withstand direct flames..most primers do not take the high heat at all. I plan to eventually weld some angle iron pieces to hold the keg not only off of the stand to keep heat off but also to avoid chipping. Got 3 inch casters and the sleeves that mcmaster sells to put the wheels right on.
I made the mistake of welding more than I should as I went..should have tac welded more to square things off and than went back and welded it asll..live and learn..

Jay

Painted and done..brewed and IPA today on it..few things to finish..need to mount chiller and pump..
Note took a bit of playing to get the jet burners down but burned real clean and efficient when done.

IMG_17381.JPG

Back