an idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza001

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm going to make a simple cider, based on a recipie that I got from this forum using Pure apple juice from Tesco, adding champgne yeast, fermenting and bottling.

That got me wondering could I use any kind of juice, for example Cranberry juice or pineapple juice and repeat the recipie but just replacing the apple jucie with the Cranberry/pineapple juice or is there a reason why it only seems to be apples that get used.

I know that other juices can be used to make wine etc, but I just like the simplicity of this recipie and the others that I have read about seem a little more complex.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Cheers

You could do it- it's just that in some cases, if you don't add extra sugar, you'll get a fairly low alcohol content, dry wine. In other cases (pineapple) flavor might be a factor. I'll tell you right now, I've never heard of pineapple wine (probably for a good reason).
I have had cranberry wine before, and it's rawther tasty, in a tart kind of way.

It'll work - just check the ingredients in the juices. The more fruit juice the better for flavour, added sugars will obviously give more alcohol but nothing to the 'body'. Preservatives (however don't worry about added ascorbic acid) can inhibit yeast so best to avoid them. And champagne yeast will give you a dry brew - it's neutral in flavour though.

I've had pineapple wine, like garlic wine, there's a good reason you don't see it much.

Just about any juice that doesn't have preservatives can be fermented.

Cheers for your replies, I will do some experimenting later with different combinations of juices and see what it tastes like.

mmm garlic wine sounds lovely !!!!, I think I'll give that one a miss.

dazza001 said:
mmm garlic wine sounds lovely !!!!, I think I'll give that one a miss.
It's a cooking wine like 'Chilli Wine' is - not one for drinking!!:D

Back