Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talenos

Reaction score
So we went to the LHBS to pick up a thief. They didn't have one, but I did end up with the materials to make a hefeweizen. This is the first time I'll have two beers going at once, and I forgot to pick up another airlock so I can't really brew the new batch I got.

Being a bit overzealous and thinking I'd brew later today, I smacked the smack pack before I realized this. Will it be fine to leave until tomorrow at room temperature? What kind of time limit do I have for this thing?

Pop it in the fridge and it'll slow down and put the yeast to sleep. Bring it out and they'll pick up where they left off.

If you want to go ahead and brew, you can always just cover the top of the carboy with a bit of sanitized tinfoil until you get your airlock. The CO2 will keep out the baddies.

1) You don't need an airlock. I know this is going to fly in the face of everything you think you know about sanitation, but a sanitized piece of tinfoil will work every bit as good as an bung/airlock combo. Bacteria can't crawl, they can't climb, and they can't penetrate tinfoil. They can only ride along on wind currents, so as long as the carboy/bucket is covered by something they can't penetrate, the beer will be safe.

2) I want to say that 24 hours is the recommended time for those smack packs, but I can't be 100% sure. From the Wyeast website:
Wyeast said:
I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

Should I use some loose-fitting foil on my secondary then since there should be little activity coming out of it?

That seams easier than trying to cover the hole on my primary bucket.

If you're going to brew tonight and pick up an airlock tomorrow, I'd probably just put it in the bucket and lay a sheet of sanitized foil over the top to cover the hole. That, or set up a blowoff tube if I had some tubing handy. Even though you don't HAVE to have an airlock, I'd still pick up a spare and use it.

+ one on the blow off tube...

blowoff.jpg

totally fine over night...
in fact my LHBS owner Bob always suggests we smack it the night before we brew.

Back