brasserie lefe's " blanche de bruxelles " WIT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the wrong place to pose this kind of question. You really ought to put this in "Recipes/Ingredients".

Can't help on this particular beer. My wife LOVES witbiers so I've been trying to find more, but haven't really found a good source for this one yet.

blanche de bruxelles clone attempt

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
16A-Belgian And French Ale-Witbier

Minimum OG: 1.044 SG Maximum OG: 1.052 SG
Minimum FG: 1.008 SG Maximum FG: 1.012 SG
Minimum IBU: 10 IBU Maximum IBU: 20 IBU
Minimum Color: 2.0 SRM Maximum Color: 4.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.00 US gals "I brew 10 gallon batches so this recipe has been halved".
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.00 US gals

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.037 SG
Expected OG: 1.045 SG
Expected FG: 1.010 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.9 %
Expected ABV: 4.5 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 16.8 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 4.1 SRM (0.1 Too high for style, "aromatic" but damn its good)
BU:GU ratio: 0.38
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation: 64 degF at least 3 weeks, then C.C. 1 week at 35, Keg and naturally re-ferment with invert sugar for 3 weeks.

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Belgian Pilsen Malt 4lb 0oz 48.5 % 1.3 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Pale Wheat Malt 2lb 4oz 28.1 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Soft Red Wheat 1lb 0oz 12.5 % 0.4 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Aromatic Malt 8.00 oz 6.3 % 1.9 In Mash/Steeped
German Sauer(Acid) Malt 8.00 oz 6.1 % 0.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 5.0 % 0.50 oz 10.0 Bagged Pellet Hops 70

German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 5.0 % 0.50 oz 6.7 Bagged Pellet Hops 25

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Coriander .25 15
Coriander .25 0 (Or after high krausen)

Orange Peel (Sour) .25 15
Lemon Peel .25 15

Orange Peel (Sour) .25 0 (Or after high krausen)
Lemon Peel .25 0

Gypsum 1tsp 15
Yeast Energizer 1tsp 15

Yeast
White Labs WLP400-Belgian Wit Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Stepped Infusion w/Mash Out

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 95 degF 30
Raise by direct heating to 122 degF 20
Rest at 122 degF 30
Raise by direct heating to 149 degF 20
Rest at 149 degF 70
Raise to and Mash out at 165 degF 10

Sparge 170 til it gets right!

From the website;
"The brewing method, which includes infusion, is very slow. The beer, which is not filtered, is bottled and refermented with yeast and brewing sugar."

{EDIT}
....Well I spent like an hour formatting this but it still mashed it all together. If you know how to space it right PM me and i will fix the spacing. Cheers and beers!!! Jacob

Update:
This recipe is great but not "a clone" but a wonderful Wit. It could be the original with very little fine tuning, but I believe it is all yeast related. The grain bill and OG are based on the original and all the information the brewery has on its website. Eventually I will bottle harvest from the original I think that will be "it".

So far I have fermented 2x 10gal. batches; one used wl400 and US05 on half with Halletau hops. The other time i did the exact same, except substituted Saaz hops. I prefer the Hallertau one with WL400, although the Saaz and US05 tasted almost like Oberon! I have also been mashing at 155 and using a 5 gal. decotion for "mash out" at 165ish. I have found decotion to add irreplaceable flavors to Hefe, Wit, Lambic and Bocks. I could be wrong though, if anyone knows how to short cut decotion mashing to get the same flavor let me know I would be interested to try it!
Cheers and Beers

Update:
This recipe is great but not "a clone" but a wonderful Wit. It could be the original with very little fine tuning, but I believe it is all yeast related. The grain bill and OG are based on the original and all the information the brewery has on its website. Eventually I will bottle harvest from the original I think that will be "it".

So far I have fermented 2x 10gal. batches; one used wl400 and US05 on half with Halletau hops. The other time i did the exact same, except substituted Saaz hops. I prefer the Hallertau one with WL400, although the Saaz and US05 tasted almost like Oberon! I have also been mashing at 155 and using a 5 gal. decotion for "mash out" at 165ish. I have found decotion to add irreplaceable flavors to Hefe, Wit, Lambic and Bocks. I could be wrong though, if anyone knows how to short cut decotion mashing to get the same flavor let me know I would be interested to try it!
Cheers and Beers

Where did you get the grain bill from? I'm surprised to see the red wheat as well as the acidic malt. Between the sour malt and sour orange, to me the original beer never tasted sour by any means.

After brewing a few more wits im almost positive the actual gran bill has a generous amount of flaked wheat vs any red wheat.

And I wouldnt use brewers sour peel either.

Questions. I've been brewing only a few months (5 batches) and would love to try this.

I can't figure out what you mean by the mash steps. I'm trying to program them into BeerSmith 2 and the terminology doesn't match.

Also, what does "Sparge 170 til it gets right!" mean?

And - "C.C. 1 week at 35, Keg and naturally re-ferment with invert sugar for 3 weeks." What does C.C. mean, and how much invert sugar do you use?

Back