Got Kegs Today...One Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
I got two kegs today, along with a 5# CO2 tank, one cobra tap, and one regulator with hose. I racked a porter into one of the kegs and was wondering if it is fine to leave it without connecting it to the CO2. I put the lid on and locked it down, but one of the things that I read said that I should pressurize it directly after racking it. I was unclear if this is correct or not. I am getting a chest freezer tomorrow, so I wanted to wait to connect to the CO2 until then. Let me know if it is fine for my beer to sit in the keg without being connected to the CO2 and not being chilled.

Got a problem...no CO2 in the tank...would it be devastating to my beer if I don't hook it up tonight and do it tom. or should I try to fill the tank tonight?

Got a problem...no CO2 in the tank...would it be devastating to my beer if I don't hook it up tonight and do it tom. or should I try to fill the tank tonight?

This isn't going to be helpful to you right now Slappy, but I'm going to add it for the benefit of other new keggers looking in. It would have been a good idea to have pressurized that keg with CO2 and carefully checked for leaks before racking beer into it the first time.

For now though, Big K is correct. Don't jostle that keg around and fill your tank as soon as you're able.

This isn't going to be helpful to you right now Slappy, but I'm going to add it for the benefit of other new keggers looking in. It would have been a good idea to have pressurized that keg with CO2 and carefully checked for leaks before racking beer into it the first time.

For now though, Big K is correct. Don't jostle that keg around and fill your tank as soon as you're able.

Thanks....I have another keg, so I will check that one first and check the other one after I drain it.:mug:

Back