has anyone noticed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfark

Reaction score
that you don't get hangovers from home brew?

i do my fair share of drinking to.

commercial beer can really make me feel buggered the next day.

hummmm, mabey you arn't drinking enough... That or you arn't drinking apfelwein:D

No I tend not to get hangovers from home brew either, but I think it is more because I am drinking to enjoy it, not throwing it back just to get pissed drunk....

Yeup.

but then again I don't really get hangovers. Being Scottish my body has adapted and its normal state is dehyrdrated. I can get the reverse of a hangover if I dont drink enough and become rehydrated. My internal organs swell causing pain and I have to have a beer, or two, or seventeen to become normal again :)

it must have something to do with my ancestry, being part indian.

I'd read somewhere that the chances of getting a hangover from homebrew are really low. It has something to do with the yeasts that are normally filtered out of commercial brews, and can have a more balancing effect on your body. I can't remember where I read that, but that might be mostly because I'm on my third glass now. I'll look on the weekend maybe.

But I'd agree; I haven't had a hangover from homebrew in years, and I've indulged a lot.

Last weekend however... man, that Apfelwein will get you.

I read that it is because of the vitamin B produced/contained in the yeast. Alcohol takes this out of the body, but with many homebrews, you drink up a nice dose of yeast that replens.

dibby33 said:
I can get the reverse of a hangover if I dont drink enough and become rehydrated. My internal organs swell causing pain and I have to have a beer, or two, or seventeen to become normal again :)
And you wonder what she sees in you..... :D

I have those Scottish genes too. There's something about pacing one's self so that a steady trickle of ethanol is administered in a controlled fashion. If that trickle is moderated by an exceptional hand crafted brew and very little spousal abuse, so much the better.

Did I mention the brewing was HER idea?

Matrimonial harmony.

I'm not worthy. cheekkiss2.gif

Fingers said:
And you wonder what she sees in you..... :D

I have those Scottish genes too.

The wife has a bit of Scots in her too, from time to time, have to buy her chocs and flowers first though. :D

dibby33 said:
The wife has a bit of Scots in her too, from time to time, have to buy her chocs and flowers first though. :D

Her maiden name is Gibson. When she drinks, I get the fock out of there.

Thankfully it only happens once in a while. She birthed a lot. That will scare anyone sober.

I also don't get the dreaded rhino farts that everyone talks about. Could be because I'm cajun and my stomach and intestinal track is so ****ed up.

Newfermenter1 said:
I read that it is because of the vitamin B produced/contained in the yeast. Alcohol takes this out of the body, but with many homebrews, you drink up a nice dose of yeast that replens.

You got it - homebrew has lots of Vitamin B - which saves you from the hangover. Commercial beers are filtered and pasteurized which destroys the vitamin B.

Cheers,
Brad

also it is weaker than store bought so you don't get as pissed.

c.n.budz said:
whatever... drink enough of any type of booze and you'll get a hangover...
i second that - just takes a bit more is all but it can be done :tank:

lfark said:

I've made plenty a homebrew batch that was stronger than store bought...

i have only made about 7 batches. starts at 1.045 and finishes at 1.010. that is about 4.4% i think. store bought beer up here in canada is 5%.

i just use malts and 1 cup sugar to prime. can you make a strong beer like that without aerating?

:mug: Well the hangovers are not nearly as intense, but I do feel a little "fuzzy"??But it seems to go away when I start drinking again.:D :tank: :)

Only if you are brewing weak beers... (why would anyone do that???) I brew session beers too so I'm only kidding.

Most of the beers I brew are above 5% ABV which is nearly twice that of BMC. I just finished off 10g of robust smoked porter that was pushing 7.5%... definately not weaker.

If you drink a massive amount of homebrew you will still get hungover, but less so than with some other swills because of the VitB. Yum homebrew! :mug:

lfark said:
i have only made about 7 batches. starts at 1.045 and finishes at 1.010. that is about 4.4% i think. store bought beer up here in canada is 5%.

i just use malts and 1 cup sugar to prime. can you make a strong beer like that without aerating?

Canadian beer is stronger than US beer, for mainstream beers. I love LaBatt's from Canada as opposed to the US cut version! I always get a case of it to briing back when I go...

You basically have to use more malt and hops (to balance) to get a bigger ABV beer. I made a winter spiced brew at 8% and my tripel (which is bottle conditioning) is at 9%.

And aerating is very important, event at lower end OG brews. In short, it helps the yeasties do their job.

oh man, someone mentioned the rhinofarts and i get those bad after just a few homebrews. It was so bad the other day, that people were complaining when we were OUTSIDE and on the waterfront, AND there was a decent amount of wind that day. I am in the navy, so when someone busts ass, its always hilarious. Especially when i clear a room or the lounge in berthing. Best part is, i can duplicate the farts the next day by just drinking a few homebrews :cross:

This is the first time I've ever discussed this subject among anyone, but I never get hangovers either, EVER. I'm French, Scottish and Irish, so go figure.

A few times I should have but didn't:
Anyone drink Orloff Vodka? 10 bucks a gallon. Drank a fifth, a sixer of guinness stout, and a few mikes hard lemonades. Woke up the next morning and was f-ing hungry, but otherwise fine.
Drank a thirty rack and a twelve pack of bud light (ya, i know...) no hangover.
Drank 10 12 oz bottles of apfelwein..... and a bottle of tylenol the next morning.

Well I've got a serious case of the flu that just happened to coincide with the day after drinking large amounts of homebrew. It's a rough one today at work.

Kill me now.

I get hangovers from store bought beer, but not from home brew. The guys at the LHBS say it is from the lack of cleaning chemicals like formaldehyde. Sometimes I can't feel my face until 11:00 o'clock, but I don't have a problem with that.

Back