OxiClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the best workable solution for oxiclean is? I wanna rack to a secondary today but I need to find out the best way to clean/ sanitize it! Im pretty sure oxiclean does the job? Its all I have at the moment!

Thanks

EamusCatuli said:
Does anybody know what the best workable solution for oxiclean is? I wanna rack to a secondary today but I need to find out the best way to clean/ sanitize it! Im pretty sure oxiclean does the job? Its all I have at the moment!

Thanks

Oxyclean is a great cleaner. I do not use it as a sanitizer though.

Right. equipment must be clean before it can be sanitized. I use no rinse sanitizers all the time, like star san and iodophor. With a clean carboy, I just rinse well, and then drain and sanitize.

I would not rely on OxiClean for sanitizing. I use a scoop of the stuff to about 5 gallons for cleaning, but after that I always rinse thoroughly and then sanitize with Iodophor.

Racking to secondary is seldom an urgent task. You can do it a week after brewing, or several weeks later, and your beer will be fine either way. I wouldn't rush the job and risk infection--go get some sanitizer (or mail order it if you don't have a convenient LHBS) and rack only after you have the right stuff for the job.

Come to think of it, you could use regular household bleach if you really need to rack ASAP and can't get any other sanitizer products quickly enough. I would recommend using a fresh bottle of water to rinse so you don't introduce any errant bacteria, yeast, or fungi from the tap.

EamusCatuli said:

Thanks

Eamus,

With that nickname, I'm assuming you're a cubs fan, and possibly live near Wrigley. There's a homebrew store near 94 that's good in a pinch for some quick supplies, near Armitage and 94. they have some sanitizers, go get some star san, it's the best.

Back