Suckback question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Ended up with about a half ounce of Suckback half water and starsan in me 5 gal batch. Shouldn't hurt it right?

You should be all good. It would take quite a bit of StarSan to screw up a five gallon batch.

Yeah,five star says it breaks down into yeast neutrient. I don't know how long that takes. I don't believe they mentioned that part. But such a smal amount from an airlock,even a blow off tube,shouldn't matter. For example,I use 1/2 gallon vodka jugs for blow off rigs 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan solution. The solution being .75oz of starsan per gallon of water,with a small splash in 1/3 of a half gallon being about a pint of water,the amount of the TTL volume that's starsan is pretty miniscule. Enough to do the job,but not enough to be harmful to us.

Definately fine.

Just dont be stupid like me lol.

Put the S air lock on my new cider, put in some water then just kind of drizzled(what i thought) was a small drop of starsan down the top into the left side with the water.

Apparently i made it too starsan rich lol, i came out the next day once it started and the air lock was almost entirely empty as so much starsan caused it to soap bubble almost all of the water out of the top of the air lock.
There was a big string of bubbles coming out of the top and down the side of the carboy.

Oops.

Back