Rip out the partition between fridge and freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerex

Reaction score
I have an upright fridge as a fermentation chamber, unfortunately its too short for my conical with an airlock on it (just barely). The freezer part isn't being used for anything so im thinking of cutting out the partition and making one big chamber in it. Has anyone else done this? are there coolant lines in there? (I'd carefully cut the top layer of plastic out and find out first anyway, but i was hoping to get a response from someone with experience)

Thanks!

yeah, bad idea. There are cooling lines throughout the freezer box (it's actually how the whole fridge works, there's no actual cooling lines in the fridge section, just the freezer, and that cools the whole thing.
You may be able to cut away some of the plastic from the top of the fridge section and fit the fermentor in that way. Or you can switch to a blowoff tub that would be lower than an airlock. But don't cut the partition

Thanks for the info! I thought the lines ran in the outer walls. Oh well,guess its back to craigslist for me!

Back