Munich Dunkel AG - chainsaw brewing "death by dunkel"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 2565 kolsh
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7@70*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14@70*
death by dunkel chainsaw brewing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
Category: Dark Lager
Subcategory: Munich Dunkel
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 70 %
Total Grain/Extract: 11.65 lbs.
Total Hops: 2.3 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 219.1
Cost to Brew: $26.85 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.50 (USD)

Ingredients
7.25 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam®
3.5 lbs. German Dark Munich
.20 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.20 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III®
1.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.25 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 2565 Kolsch

mash in at 165* for 60minutes. batch sparge with 170* water.

enjoy!

So how did this one turn out?? I'm a big Warsteiner Dunkel fan, and was just curious how this compared....

beerboy007 said:
So how did this one turn out?? I'm a big Warsteiner Dunkel fan, and was just curious how this compared....

imo it's near perfect. it tastes like the draft version. i serve it on draft also though.

it's my friends favorite. i brew a batch about every two weeks. i'm on my 5th batch now.

This would be a recipe of my favorite beer. Anyone converted it to an extract or partial mash and tried it? I am an experienced winemaker but have never made beer. I am gearing up to and think this would be the perfect beer for me to make. Suggestions?

Smurfe said:
This would be a recipe of my favorite beer. Anyone converted it to an extract or partial mash and tried it? I am an experienced winemaker but have never made beer. I am gearing up to and think this would be the perfect beer for me to make. Suggestions?

I'd LOVE to hear how someone who's more experienced than I would convert this to an extract. As it is, I may just have to wing it and see how it goes. But any advice would be much appreciated.

Kilted Brewer said:
Well I'm lost. It says you're at 70º....Where are the lagering temps?

i DON'T lager it. i ferment in primary for about two weeks usually, and keg it immedeatley afterward, and am drinking it 5 days later and it's delicious.

brian

OMG I don't know how I never noticed this recipe. Warsteiner Dunkel is one of my fave everyday draught beers. SO EXCITED to brew this one, I'm ordering the grains on payday! :D

Hey, when I put the ingredients in my brew software I got a 1.074 OG, is there something wrong with my software or is there a typo somewhere????

I'm confused by that as well - 165 can't be right?

Also, how does the Kölsch yeast behave at 70°? Is that the ambient temp, and the fermenter might even be 5° higher than that?

I'm confused by that as well - 165 can't be right?

Also, how does the Kölsch yeast behave at 70°? Is that the ambient temp, and the fermenter might even be 5° higher than that?

I find kolsch yeast to be rather fruity at 70. You'd get a much cleaner profile at 65 or so.... and if you have temperature control, I would recommend just using a real lager yeast. I don't think the yeast would even floc very well at that temp and certainly not in 21days...but you may not be able to tell because of color, but you'd sure taste it.

And yeah, 165 mash temp cannot be right.

Thanks. I don't have true "temperature" control, I have a swamp cooler and some icepacks ;) Do you have any recommendations on a clean ale yeast, or would it be better to steam brew it at ~60-65 with a lager yeast?

i apologize, i miss typed this recipe, and i didn't notice that, or the questions about this until today.
i heat the strike water to 165, which gives me a mash temp of around 150-155. i apologize for that typo/confusion.

as for the yeast, the temperature, and the other questions/concerns i've seen, here's my 2 cents. i've brewed this TONS of times. i usually rack out of the primary to the keg, and immediately brew and rack the new wort onto the yeastcake, because i can't hardly keep enough of this brew on tap to appease me, swmbo, and my friends appetites for it. it is very close to warsteiner dunkel, just a bit heavier, and more malty/flavorfull. i don't know how or why it works, but it does. like i said, i've brewed it many, many times, and it's delicious, and amazing. the only addition i will add to that, is as awesome as it tastes with only two or three weeks in the primary, then into the keg, it tastes even better with about one month of sitting carbed, in the keg. if anyone else has tried this recipe, or wants to, please, i encourage you to do so, and post up your tasting results, to help assure me i'm not crazy, because i've seen a lot of questions regarding my recipe, and my experience.

So I was reading about a sweet home bar in my new BYO magazine today and was surprised by the shout out to the death by dunkel, as I just recently tapped a version of this recipe.

So anyways cool bar and great beer! I used WLP800 instead of the kolsch yeast, and not using a starter I ended up with a bit of yeast character I wasn't expecting(maybe DMS). But it seems to compliment the beer well, really pronounces the malty flavor leading into a dry finish.

So I was reading about a sweet home bar in my new BYO magazine today and was surprised by the shout out to the death by dunkel, as I just recently tapped a version of this recipe.

So anyways cool bar and great beer! I used WLP800 instead of the kolsch yeast, and not using a starter I ended up with a bit of yeast character I wasn't expecting(maybe DMS). But it seems to compliment the beer well, really pronounces the malty flavor leading into a dry finish.

cool! you're the first person that i know that actually tried one of my recipes. i'm glad you like it. i just brewed another batch of this on monday. it's sitting in the carboy bubbling away.

Well I made this recipe and it is 4 weeks old.

My OG was 1.060 (at 75 deg) and it fermented at 61 degs on Wyeast Kolsch for 4 weeks. I just moved it to the keg but the gravity was 1.018 (at 61 deg).

When I opened the bucket there was about a half an inch of krausen on the top. Very stick, fatty, gooey. Is this normal for Kolsch?

I really want this to work ( I love Warsteiner) so my question is:

1. do I move the keg to a warmer part of the house and try to get the yeast to get the gravity down?

2. add some notty

3. let it sit for another week than carb for a week and hope it is good?

I tasted it but had some krausen and yeast in it so wasn't a good sample.

Help is appreciated.

Glad to find this recipe. After next payday, I'm gonna grab some grains and make a batch. Its awful hard for me to ferment outside of the optimum temps (I have two fermentation chest freezer conversions -one of which is usually doing lager duty) but if I can do it, I'll brew two batches, one fermented at the 70* listed, the other at the yeasts' preferred temp....
I can hardly wait. I've been working on a dunkel recipe of my own, its pretty good, but if this one is better, I'll be brewing it regularly (grin).

How does this look for a partial mash?

6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 62.50 %
1.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.23 %
0.85 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.85 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.21 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [4.80 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.90 %
Bitterness: 26.5 IBU
Est Color: 23.5 SRM

I want to bump this recipe back up to see what the results of the other brewers were. I'm going to be starting a Dunkel soon (it's winter in the north so I can ferment pretty low w/o temp control).

I want to bump this recipe back up to see what the results of the other brewers were. I'm going to be starting a Dunkel soon (it's winter in the north so I can ferment pretty low w/o temp control).

i'm curious of this too. i've seen a lot of people on here say they're brewing it, and i've gotten several pm's about people brewing it, but never heard any definitive taste notes from anyone other than myself and my friends/family that enjoy it when i brew it.

Well, I'm going to do a BIAB version of this in a few weeks. I've got a Spotted Cow (WI exclusive) clone to do that uses the same yeast so I'm planning on pitching the Death by Dunkel on top of the yeast cake when that one is down with primary. I'll let you know how it turns out in 6-8 weeks.

I bought the ingredients for this today, although I added a handfull of black wheat to it. Will be teaching a new brewer with it. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it comes out.

I too just bought the ingredients to make this beer. I'm a week behind "schedule" on this one, but here's hoping for the best.

Mine's in the primary now. I let the grasshopper take it to his house so he could enjoy watching it ferment.

Well, I bottled on 02/26 at about 2.5 weeks shooting for 2.5 volumes of CO2. I couldn't RDWAHAHB and tried one last night. Carbonation was well underway and so was the flavor! I bought a 12 pack of Warsteiner Dunkel for brew day and was disappointed with it. There is a very grape juice like flavor up front that really takes away from what a Dunkel should taste like to me. I'm going to wait until this weekend to do a side-by-side and will update this posting then. But so far I am very happy with the results!

A green taste showed up after a couple days and made the beer horrible. Of course that was because I couldn't wait to try them. It has now been just over two weeks in the bottle and the beer is good. I definitely over carbonated for style but that's alright and letting the glass sit for a while takes care of that. My beer is clear too (thank you whirlfloc). It's a good beer so far, not quite what I was shooting for, but much better than the 12 pack of Warsteiner that I bought and very drinkable. I'm going to let the second case sit for a couple more weeks before drinking to see if it just needs a bit more time to age. I'm not good at describing flavors, but there just seems to be some flavor conflict right now that I hope to balance out with time. The beer is very crisp though (over carbonation?); I was hoping for a little more mouth-feel. All-in-all not too bad so far.

i haven't bottled in a long time. i do remember though, back when i bottled this recipe, the BEST one i ever had, was one that i forgot about, and left in my buddies fridge for 6 months. even though i think/thought it was great bottled after just a few weeks, it really shined after sitting longer. when i keg it, hell, i don't have any idea how much better it tastes/would taste if it sat longer, because a keg gets draned in less than a month every time.

I was going to edit my last post, but maybe it'll serve as a lesson learned. This beer is now six weeks old, 3.5 weeks in the bottle, and tastes great! I was picking up a roasted maltiness that didn't fit the style initially, it could have been hop related too (who knows), but this beer is pretty much liquid bread now! Unfortunately, I only have a 12 pack left so I'll have to brew this one up again very soon!

Great beer, just give it some time if you're bottling; this yeast tends to throw some off flavors while it is eating that it will clean up with a bit of time from my experience (four beers). There is definitely a resemblance of Warsteiner Dunkel in there.

I kicked a keg of this a couple of weeks ago, and it was delicious! I did have a stuck fermentation, but nothing a little amylase enzyme couldn't fix. My wife loved it, and even preferred it in a side by side tasting with Warsteiner dunkel! This recipe could have a permamant spot on my keezer!:rockin:

You say ferment at 70 degrees?! That is outside the 58-64 optimal fermentation range
for the yeast. That is also the highest fermentation temperature for all of my ale recipes.

Have you done a side by side taste test with warsteiner. Its the only way to see how you
compare in taste, body, carbonation, etc.

death by dunkel chainsaw brewing

General
Category: Dark Lager
Subcategory: Munich Dunkel
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 70 %
Total Grain/Extract: 11.65 lbs.
Total Hops: 2.3 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 219.1
Cost to Brew: $26.85 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.50 (USD)

Ingredients
7.25 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam®
3.5 lbs. German Dark Munich
.20 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.20 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III®
1.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.25 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 2565 Kolsch

mash in at 165* for 60minutes. batch sparge with 170* water.

enjoy!

Looking for recipes, I don't see the wheat in your wheat beer?

Back