Splitting Batch (party pig/bottles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabber

Reaction score
I got a question about priming. Since the Party pig calls for a certain amount of priming sugar, What should I do? Can I just do like usual and just add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket and then take it to the pig? Or do I need to prime the pig on it's own? The only priming sugar I got is what came with the kit. I wont be bottling for a couple weeks, but was wondering about this. I dont make any since!:confused:

dabber

IIRC, the instructions for the pig indicated never to prime with more than 1/3 cup of corn sugar, so if you're priming the entire batch, I wouldn't exceed 2/3 cup. I used to just put 1/4-1/3c in each pig before racking, then shake it up once it was sealed.

I believe Pigs require less sugar than bottles to prime. So If you prime the whole batch at the pig rate you will have somewhat under carbed bottles. The safest suggestion is to prime the pig with the recommended siphon into the pig the required amount. Then prime the bottling bucket with half the normal amount (about 2.5oz or 3/8 cup).
Craig

Back