Transplanting Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreaster40s

Reaction score
This was my first time trying to grow hops this year. I tried 3 different varieties (Cascade, Centennial and Willamette) and just put them in 3 different locations to see what happened. I think I only used Miracle Grow on them once and that was about it yet they did fairly well. So now next year I want to make a permanent spot for them instead of letting them grow up our basketball hoop and lines tied to the roof. :)

So far I've only harvested some of the cones and will harvest the rest soon. I haven't cut anything down yet. Any advice on the best way to proceed after I harvest? Lay the bines down for a few days then cut them back? As far as transplanting, dig them up and do it this fall or in the spring? Thanks!

I transplanted mine 1100 miles by cutting them off, digging up as much of the roots as possible, and bagging them. replanted by burying the spread-out root structure under a small amount of earth. worked fine.

If you can leave the bines on until they begin to turn brown or yellow, and allow the bines to photosynthesize you will get stronger roots and a better plant next year. If you can, leave the bines until they are nearly brown.

I harvested what hops I could awhile back. I thought I'd read somewhere to let the bines lay on the ground for awhile after harvesting before cutting them off. They've been on the ground for quite awhile now but I haven't cut them off yet. Is that the right way to go?

Wait until the leaves turn brown and drop to cut off the bines. While the leaves are still green, they will continue to photosynthesize, providing food and energy to the roots. You can transplant after that happens.

Cutting green bines may also trigger the plant to respond by sending out new growth, something exactly opposite that which is best for the plant. Doing so will draw on the stored root reserves and negatively impact the plant's ability to survive the winter; even if it survived, next year's growth would never be as robust as it would have been otherwise. Let the plant do what nature intends -- let the bines die off. Transplant in the spring.

I have a similar situation as noreaster40, first year for growing and now fall is coming in here in the Bay Area. Well the backyard might be going thru changes and so the hop roots need to be moved from where they are.

Is there any problems with putting them in plant pots for storage?

Back