Screwed up...maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
I brewed a SNPA clone from Austin Homebrew last Friday night. I followed the recipe to the letter. Then today I decided to look at Sierra Nevada's website and I saw that they claimed that their pale ale has about 35 IBUs. Interested to see what the recipe from AHB looked like, I plugged it into Promash and it calculated what I brewed to have almost 70 IBUs. That's quite a bit of difference. Here's the hopping schedule per the recipe from AHB: 1 oz Nugget for 60 minutes, 0.5 oz Pearle for 15 minutes, 1 oz Cascade for 5 minutes, 0.5 oz Cascade dry hopped.

Anyone have any ideas as to whether or not the final product will be drinkable?

I just want to make sure....I've never had anything with that much hops in it, but I do have to say since buying a 12'er of SNPA last week I've really become accustomed to the aroma and flavor. At first I was like, "WOW, HOPS!!!!" By the end of the 12'er I was more like, "I wish there was more hops in this brew!!" So, I figure I'll like it but I was just shocked at the difference between what Sierra Nevada says is in their beer and what the kit wound up at.

Keep us updated on how that clone kit tastes. I'm interested in buying AHS's SNPA clone soon and would like some first hand feedback.

puravida286 said:
Keep us updated on how that clone kit tastes. I'm interested in buying AHS's SNPA clone soon and would like some first hand feedback.

I got a whiff of the brew about two days ago while fermentation was in full swing (I wasn't getting any air-lock activity so I opened the fermenter a little to take a look). It smelled great...a lot like an SNPA but more hops if that's even possible. If the smell is any judge of the final product it should be quite tasty. I was just worried about the IBUs after see what Promash had to say.

Hop-head convert:

Don't worry! If it was me I'd add an extra ounce of Nugget to the boil at about 45min!

Back