APA using amarillo anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaja

Reaction score
I've been making APA's lately with great results using combos of Cascade, chinook and Cluster. I want to make a variation using some Amarillo but unsure where the best place in the hopping schedule and how much is best.

Anyone make a great APA with a bit of Amarillo in it. Here in Oz its one of the more expensive hops so I'm not looking at using a stack of it though when I have a hop bank full of the other above hops already.

Cheers guys.

I love amarillo. To save cash you could also do cluster for bittering and then finish with some amarillo at 15 minutes for some flavor and aroma.

I normally dry hop this as well in secondary. Any harm or overload in doing both the 15 min and dry hop using it?

Ahh thanks for the link mate. I haven't tried Simcoe and might pick up some time soon and give it a try.

He dry hops with a fair bit of Amarillo too answering my question already.

cheers

I normally dry hop this as well in secondary. Any harm or overload in doing both the 15 min and dry hop using it?

I just brewed 5 gallons of an IPA with 1.5 oz of Amarillo at 60, 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at 5, 0.5 oz at 0, and 1 oz dry hopped. It's not ready yet, but the recipe has good reviews.

So you're okay using it for 15 minutes and dry hop. :)

I have done an all-Amarillo pale ale a couple of times. Very tasty by itself or paired with Cascade. Use it as you mentioned - a flavor addition near the end of the boil and dry hopping.

I just recently did a mostly all amarillo ipa with warrior for bittering and it was fantastic. For a 6 gallon batch, my hop schedule was .70oz warrior at 60, 1oz amarillo at 10, 1oz amarillo at 5, 1oz amarillo at 0 and 1oz amarillo to dry hop. I'm going to make this again and add some cascade in the dry hop as well.

I just recently did a mostly all amarillo ipa with warrior for bittering and it was fantastic. For a 6 gallon batch, my hop schedule was .70oz warrior at 60, 1oz amarillo at 10, 1oz amarillo at 5, 1oz amarillo at 0 and 1oz amarillo to dry hop. I'm going to make this again and add some cascade in the dry hop as well.

I brew similarly, but I've been bittering with Magnums lately. I got half a pound of whole Magnums...they're beautiful, 14.2%AA.

Back on topic....an APA using Amarillo is a great idea. A SMASH using Amarillo, WPL001 and US grown 2-row is a thing of American greatness. Just don't forget to mash high and long.

A friend of mine made an Amarillo APA last year that was off the chain. I don't really remember the recipe but it was 4 different malts and Cascades and Amarillo for the hops, not sure about the schedule but it was dry hopped with Amarillo and wow it sure was good. Amarillo/Cascade is a great combination for an APA.

Back