Your favorite band just went country!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
Could your favorite band switch genres and be successful?

Example:
Rush writing Country/Western?
Mylie Cyrus screaming death metal?
Opeth scoring a ballet?

The only reason why I'd hit Mylie Cyrus is because she's the Achy Breaky Heart dude's daughter.

Just to spite him.

Many of my favourite bands already do cross lines. I like people like James McMurtry and Steve Earle, who are kind of country, kind of rock, kind of folk, kind of blues. But I like them for the music as much as the lyrics etc. If I wanted screaming metal, I would listen to screaming metal. So if they switched too far, then no, I wouldn't still listen.

meh.. One of my favorite bands, Cake, IS rock/country/blues and makes the transition quite nicely.

Sometimes a song about sacrificing dead babies set to a 6/8 country 2step beat really makes you smile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQ8gsJwTqA]YouTube - Cake "Pentagram"[/ame]

My favorite bands are already country*...but that seems to be some rock, some blues, some western swing, some bluegrass-- hell throw in a little mariachi on occasion and it's all good :D

*country as in good ol' TX bar music, not not fiddle pop crap that they can up in Nashville. This guy, for instance, is country

Could your favorite band switch genres and be successful?

Example:
Rush writing Country/Western?
Mylie Cyrus screaming death metal?
Opeth scoring a ballet?

strange as it sounds, I think those combinations could work

Rush could play whatever the hell they wanted to and it would be great, Mylie screaming some death metal might be interested, I'd rather hear her growl though. And Opeth scoring a ballet is not that big of a stretch since they're a bunch of kweerfags anyway - lol Look at what happened to Savatage for example, they did a side project in a totally different orchestral style "Trans Siberian Orchestra" and its been far more successful than anything they ever did as a straight ahead metal band.

My favorite band "Cannibal Corpse" I dont really think would be able to switch genres drastically and pull it off though, but I've always thought it would be interesting for them to take a more classic rock/metal song with appropriate subject matter for them and remake it in more of a death metal style - for example Alice Cooper's "Cold Ethyl" not really a death metal song at all other than the lyrics and subject matter would make it interesting if it was brought in the right direction with some down tuned heavy riffing and double bass blast beats.

Great album. My fav song is Japanese Cowboy.

ween.jpg

Its already happened to some degree -

Metallica (I would insert a less than desireable comment here but out of respect for their legacy and overall asskickingmusic I will refrain on some of their later endeavors)
Primus (on every other song) :p
Vanilla Ice (White hip-hop to metal)

Oh yeah, U2 was notorious for this many years ago as well. I remember an interview with Bono stating something to the effect of - this is our new sound, if you dont like it I dont care cause Im rich.
-Me

strange as it sounds, I think those combinations could work

Rush could play whatever the hell they wanted to and it would be great, Mylie screaming some death metal might be interested, I'd rather hear her growl though. And Opeth scoring a ballet is not that big of a stretch since they're a bunch of kweerfags anyway - lol Look at what happened to Savatage for example, they did a side project in a totally different orchestral style "Trans Siberian Orchestra" and its been far more successful than anything they ever did as a straight ahead metal band.

My favorite band "Cannibal Corpse" I dont really think would be able to switch genres drastically and pull it off though, but I've always thought it would be interesting for them to take a more classic rock/metal song with appropriate subject matter for them and remake it in more of a death metal style - for example Alice Cooper's "Cold Ethyl" not really a death metal song at all other than the lyrics and subject matter would make it interesting if it was brought in the right direction with some down tuned heavy riffing and double bass blast beats.

Kind of OT but one VERY interesting transition/project was Pestilence's album Spheres. I was a HUGE Pestilence fan from the Consuming Impulse album and Spheres was unlike anything I have ever heard. (Especially for them) This album was way ahead of its time IMO.
-Me

Back