Halfway through my second AG...questions about boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Ok so I'm halfway through my second AG, 3rd ever brew. I'm mashing 5lbs of White Wheat and 5lbs of Pilsner for a Hefe, Brew in a Bag style. But just now I realized my sparge is going to have to be like 4.5 gallons and my pot is 5.5 gallons. I don't think my sparge water and my mash wort is going to fit into the same boil. So can I leave the mash wort in the cooler w/o grains until the sparge boils down or should I try a split boil?

Otherwise all is well. I nailed my mash temp of 153 by using tap water at 165F! I think our heater is on a little higher than necessary lol. I'm going to split the wort into 2 fermenters so I can try 2 yeasts.

Do a dual boil man, I've been doing it this way and I have yet to have bad results. Just remember that you will have 2x the amount of evaporation though, so add water accordingly, i.e. if you want 5 gallons after you are done boiling, you'll need about 7 gallons in the boil for a 60 minute boil.

My next largest pots are 8 and 6 quarts. So I'd have to do a triple split boil. How and when do I add the hops?

ok well turns out my sparge is more like 3 gallons, I'm stupid and thought 10 pounds of grains and 4 gallons of water would fit in my pot. Sooo my efficiency is probably going to suck but I'm just going to boil down the sparge water until I can fit the mash and sparge water together and then start my 60 min boil there. I guess I can let it get down to like 4.5 gallons instead to compensate for the presumably low gravity.

How big is your "Big" pot? I have fit 12lbs 4oz of grain and 13.5qts of water in my 5gal pot.

You should go to a local Mexican market type of grocery store and get a 5gal Tamale pot for $20.

My big pot is 22qt. I ended up split boiling, but the big pot is having a hard time getting to a rolling boil. It's above 212F so it is boiling just doesn't look like it. I've got it all in one pot, and I added the hops 20 minutes ago. Hopefully it turns out ok. GF might be mad if here hefe sucks.

So my estimated OG @ 65% was 1.050. I got 1.060 which is 80%! That seems crazy considering my sparge was just 3 gallons but idk how else to explain it. I came out maybe 1/2 a gallon short, I guess that could be part of it?

Ok so since its more like 4.5 gallons that makes my efficiency 70%. I guess that's more plausible. Both the 3638 and 3068 are bubbling away and were withing 8 hours so I guess the starters really helped.

Back