Headspace in my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I realized I left to much headspace in the secondary. It only came up to the shoulder. It still is giving off a lot of Co2. What has been the experience of others leaving to much headspace in the secondary? Am I going to get vinegar? I'm starting to worry.

I had this exact same question a few weeks ago. I had beer in a secondary for five weeks with the better part of a gallon of headspace. You've got an airlock on it, correct? If you give your secondary a little shake, enough CO2 will come out of the beer to bubble up the airlock. So if your beer is under a "blanket" of CO2, doesn't seem like much bad can happen to it. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Plus you'll probably only have your beer in the secondary a few weeks. IMO you'll be fine!

+1 on giving the beer a very very gentle shake to rouse some co2. try not to splash things around. co2 is heavier than o2 =)
Generally having less headspace in a secondary is a good thing though but I left a batch like this for like 8 weeks and didn't have a problem.

Back