Halfway carbed but need it tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I started carbing my keg last sunday so that it would be ready for today to fill a couple of growlers. The problem is that I screwed up and left the gas disconnected for a few days which through off my carb. schedule! I need to take some beer tomorrow for a road trip that I promised a few guys I would bring.

It was carbing for about 3-4 days at 14PSI but the carb level is still to low. I bumped up the CO2 to 30PSI and shook the keg for one minute. It's now sitting in the fridge disconnected.

What are the chances that this is going to work out to sufficient carb level by 06:45 hours tomorrow when I need to hit the road? Cheers, John

The second attemp you did was how I carb all my kegs and while I let them rest at normal serving pressure a day or two, they turn out fine. If anything, I suspect you may be a tad bit over-carbed due to the first attempt. Just set your regulator to your normal serving pressure and I think you'll be fine. I don't think filling your growlers will be a problem.

Unless you leave it connected, it won't carbonate any further. The amount of CO2 that the headspace will hold, even at 30 psi, is small.

Good thing is that it's chilled, absorbs CO2 better. Hook it back up the night before to 30 PSI and rock it until it takes on as much CO2 as it can (listen for the CO2 to release from the tank as you shake it).

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong but you need to disconnect it, bleed off the pressure until the keg is lower than what you are going to dial the gauge down to. If you just simply turn the gauge down to 12 PSI beer is gonna force itself back through your in valve. Hook it back up to your CO2 tank and you should be able to drink immediately.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong but you need to disconnect it, bleed off the pressure until the keg is lower than what you are going to dial the gauge down to. If you just simply turn the gauge down to 12 PSI beer is gonna force itself back through your in valve. Hook it back up to your CO2 tank and you should be able to drink immediately.

Most setups use check valves so this shouldn't be a problem. But yes you'll wan't to vent before turning down to serving pressure. Maybe need to vent a few times. This is the downfall to Burst carbing. IT's difficult to hit a particular pressure.

Back