AHS New Zealand Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Will be brewing my first batch of Austin Homebrew Supply's AHS New Zealand Rye IPA today. There were no reviews on the website yet for this kit so I guess I am the test dummy. It looks like it is going to be an awesome IPA. 3 kinds of hops: Pacific Jade, Pacifica, and Nelson Sauvin. I will keep everyone updated for the next 6 weeks, I am going to do the ole' 1-2-3, one week primary, two weeks secondary (dry hop w/ Nelson) and 3+ weeks in the bottle.

Anyone made a similar beer? Have any input or advise.

~Joe

Beer, Guns, Freedom!!!!!!!!!

Will be brewing my first batch of Austin Homebrew Supply's AHS New Zealand Rye IPA today. There were no reviews on the website yet for this kit so I guess I am the test dummy. It looks like it is going to be an awesome IPA. 3 kinds of hops: Pacific Jade, Pacifica, and Nelson Sauvin. I will keep everyone updated for the next 6 weeks, I am going to do the ole' 1-2-3, one week primary, two weeks secondary (dry hop w/ Nelson) and 3+ weeks in the bottle.

Anyone made a similar beer? Have any input or advise.

~Joe

Beer, Guns, Freedom!!!!!!!!!

I am doing the same brew but I ordered the AG version.. I am leaving it in the primary for three weeks then dry hopping in secondary for ten days.. I would at least let the brew sit in primary longer than one week. I have had it in primary so far for two weeks.

Dilligans,
What are the benefits to leaving it in the Primary longer if your going dry hop in a Secondary anyways? I have heard of not even doing a Secondary a lot lately but when you dry hop you don't really have a choice. I have always thought once the fermentation stalls which should be between 5 and 14 days you can switch to a Secondary....Love to hear what your take on this is. Thanks for the reply!!!

Hope your AG is tasty cant wait to hear.

~Joe

I used to always rack my brew to secondary after about a week.. I still did the same for about 3 months after joining homebrew talk. I made a post a few monts back that leavign beer in the primary is for the lazy. I was wrong and probally pissed a lot of people on this site off.. I decided to try leaving my brew in the primary for more then a week. I made a basic Ipa that I make all the time and instead of leaving it primary for a week and racking it. I left my beer in primary for three weeks. When I came time to keg I racked it and noticed it was clear and did not need to be age. It tasted great just needed carbonation..

Just try it. I do still secondary when I am making ales that need to age for a few monts and I personally dont leave my brew in primary more than four weeks but I know brewers like REVVY only use primary. At first I was negitave about it but now convinced.... Just try it.. dont even open up your fermenter until three weeks it up... If your not convinced read the John Palmer Post.

All right, Its in the primary bubbling away, I ended up adding too much water at the end, think that will cause any issues? I am only about 2 inches from the top of my primary and she is bubbling a ton right now, getting yellow foam in the bottom of my airlock.....think that is ok?

New_Zealand_IPA.jpg

Here is what I have going on, i am pointing at the level of my wort, how thick does the yeast cake get, think I am going to have an issue??

AirLock_Foam.jpg

Primary_Level.jpg

Install a blowoff tube instead of the airlock, should solve any problems that may arise. I have an IPA and DIPA in primary right now, went to check on the IPA, no blow off, just airlock, and got there just in time! The airlock was partially clogged and the bucket lid was extremely swollen. Got a nice little krasuen shower as I switched to a blowoff, fun times!

Here is what I have going on, i am pointing at the level of my wort, how thick does the yeast cake get, think I am going to have an issue??

It looks like your temp is pretty high. You might want to fill that bucket with water and add a frozen bottle of water - fast.

That's at the high end of the range and it is probably warmer in the bucket as the yeast do their work. I think the suggested range is 65-68 during peak fermentation and maybe a bit higher later.

Ok update on my AG New Zealand ipa. I let it sit in the primary for three weeks. I racked it to a keg. I added the hops in the keg in a muslin bag. I will let it sit in the keg for a week. I tried it before I kegged it. Awesome. Turned out to be 6.5 Abv

Racked to secondary, dry hopped and took gravity reading. Sitting around 6.1 abv right now. Gave sample a little taste, very good, strong citrus flavor so far.

ForumRunner_20111101_191634.jpg

I was checking this beer out on the AHS site this morning. I think I might order it based off what you guys have reported so far. BTW they are offering free shipping this Friday on orders over $49.00.

I was checking this beer out on the AHS site this morning. I think I might order it based off what you guys have reported so far. BTW they are offering free shipping this Friday on orders over $49.00.

Do it, it seems to be a great beer so far. From the little samples I have tried while getting gravity readings this beer is awesome and only getting better.

I would order it... It is well worth it... I tried AG version I kinda wish I made a double batch because this one is going fast. I would recommend dry hopping in a mesh or nylon bag so you dont get hops all over the place... either way it dont matter this beer is my fav out of all the batches I have ever made.... I have probally made about 10 different batches this year... Yes that is right AHS is offering free shipping on orders over 49. Good luck to you ... and happy brewing...

I emailed Austin Homebrew Supply and they told me that New Zealand Rye IPA will have a little over 100 IBU rating. Going to be awesome!!!

Bottled and it ended up around 6.38% ABV. Little lower than I wanted but it has an awesome flavor and I cant wait to pop my first top in three weeks. I will post my official taste profile and review in three weeks.

picplz_20111121_00005823341_00001.jpg

Do you have the recipe for this?

I just bought a bunch of New Zealand hops. I'm sure I could come up with something, but thought it might be easier to have a base to build on. Thanks!

dale1038 said:
Do you have the recipe for this?

I just bought a bunch of New Zealand hops. I'm sure I could come up with something, but thought it might be easier to have a base to build on. Thanks!

mine was the extract kit. Here is the recipe;

1 1/2 lbs Rye Malt
9 lbs Extra Pale Extract
3 oz Pacific Jade
1 oz Pacifica
1 oz Nelson Sauvin
White Labs California Ale 001 yeast

Bring 2 gallons of water to 155° abd soak rye malt in grain bag for 25min.
Add a gallon of water after soak and bring to boil, take off heat and stir in extract

Bring back to rolling boil and start 60 min timer;
Add 2 oz of Pacific Jade @ 60
Add 1 oz of Pacifica @ 20
Add 1/2 oz of Pacific Jade @ 15
(I added half whirlfloc tab but not in original recipe at 15 min mark)

Cool to 80° add water to make 5 1/4 gallons.

Pitch white lab 001 yeast (califorina ale 001)

Dry hop with 1 oz Nelson and 1/2 oz Pacific Jade

Good luck!

I brewed this kit back in November and only have a few left. Great brew. Since they're not featuring it any more, I may have to order the ingredients and brew it again...

I ended up coming up with my own ingredients for all grain, and then adjusted the hop schedule for a full boil. I basically just cut the hops in half. We'll see.

I brewed the double IPA version of this brew from AHS and it is one of the best I have done. Very aromatic, floral and delicious! Very different taste but very good. I can't find it on thier site any longer, hope they didn't discontinue it. Will have to keep looking!

So, if I order this quickly and make it right away, I should have just about 6 weeks before my birthday dinner out (byob). Will it be... ok? Or does it *need* to sit for longer?

Back