Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbfan

Reaction score
I brewed a scotch ale recently. Found a Founder's Dirty Bastard extract clone on the web (http://www.sicilianosmkt.com/dirtybastard.html). I did make one modification (by mistake) in that I added 8 oz. of Briess black patent (wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing). Anyway, I used While Labs Edinburg yeast, the OG was 1.090, fermented at around 70-72 F for two weeks in primary. I didn't use a starter (although I should have, I know now). It took a day and a half for the yeast to start fermenting, but when it did I needed to use a blow off. When I transferred to secondary, the gravity reading was around 1.012. I kept it in secondary for two weeks and then bottled. FG was 1.010. When I tasted the unfermented beer during the process, it tasted great and heavy! However, I tried my first bottle today (that had been in the bottle for 3 weeks at 72-73 degrees). It was thin and the flavor was only OK. What happened to the body and the flavor during bottling?

A beer that big needs more time, probably 4-5 months. That's a rather amazing attenuation, by the way.

What I meant to say was that I tasted the residual when I racked to secondary and then the residual after bottling.

nardonir said:
At what point did you taste? You said unfermented leading me to believe you tasted before dumping into the primary...

:mug:

Let it age, like david said, big beers need big time, I had a couple of bottles of a scotch ale for two years and they tasted better every month.

Latest posts

Back