New Zealand Pacific Gem hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Organic hops (not a tree hugger, a little pesticide is good for you) but they smell Frigging great!
I used them for first time today, they are 13% Alpha and smell like Goldings with a hint (but noticable)of Blueberry.. I used them in a Pale but thinking they would be a great late addition/dry hop for a wheat. I was really impressed with the aroma, I'll let you know how it turns out, I used them with Cascade the Wort smells awesome!!!

I've got a New Zealand Pale Ale in the secondary right now that's comprised of Nelson Sauvin (New Zealand, 12.7%) & Saaz. Let's compare notes in another month or so.

I just did a NZ pac gem pale ale as well. I just bottled so not to long now for the tasting. I used NZ pac gem for bitter,flavor and NZ Hallertaur for aroma. OG was 1.048 and FG was 1.009. The wort was very aromatic. Cheers

Sampled The Beer yesterday, It's still a little green but really smooth, I used Pacific Gem for all phases and cascade with it for aroma and dry hopping. It has a very unique flavor for an IPA.

It has a hint of "sweet" from the hops, it is a really smooth flavor and mixing it with cascade gave it an almost "Citrus berry" (best way to describe it) aroma.
44 IBU with no "bite" from the hops, you can taste the bitterness but it doesn't linger.

I really like the taste and Aroma, next time I might leave out the cascade and go straight Pacific Gem, I think the two hops really complimented each other well so I may not :drunk:

budbo said:
Sampled The Beer yesterday, It's still a little green but really smooth, I used Pacific Gem for all phases and cascade with it for aroma and dry hopping. It has a very unique flavor for an IPA.

It has a hint of "sweet" from the hops, it is a really smooth flavor and mixing it with cascade gave it an almost "Citrus berry" (best way to describe it) aroma.
44 IBU with no "bite" from the hops, you can taste the bitterness but it doesn't linger.

I really like the taste and Aroma, next time I might leave out the cascade and go straight Pacific Gem, I think the two hops really complimented each other well so I may not :drunk:

AWESOME! Thanks for posting this, I was hoping you'd bump it when you got the beer near ready. SwAMi just gave me a c-load of pac gem hops--I really need to use them. I feel MUCH better about them now that you have described the flavor--I was REALLY worried from what I had heard about them.

Awesome! Ive been looking for recipes using gems. Sounds like they work well in pales. I was thinking of just bittering,but arent they overpowering for flavor and aroma?

Back