Beer Bottle Transportation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As far as sanitizing goes, I've always been a fan of the dishwasher. I've never had a problem to date (knock on wood) with running the bottles through a hot cycle with little to no detergent.

The problem is, my new apartment doesn't have a dishwasher (definitely sacrificed location for amenities...). My girlfriend, however, does have a dishwasher and it is completely accessible to me for my brewing needs. She doesn't live far at all, maybe a ten minute drive on a bad day.

Is it cool if I drive my bottles there, run them through a cycle, put them back in their boxes and then run the bottles home and commence with the bottling procedures? Or would the transportation process create too many chances for recontamination?

Or, another option, is it too much hassle and I should just suck it up and soak them in Iodophor for ten minutes and then rinse and fill?

:mug:

You can cover the bottle tops if you'd like. Foil or similar.
With the Iodophor you don't need a 10 min soak. 30 seconds - 2 mins is plenty. And no rinse. You're going to undo everything you just did with the iodophor. I ususally just have the bottles in the iodophor solution and pull 1 out at a time as I bottle.

I just have a 3 gallon bucket of StarSan that I reuse. Dunk all the bottles in let them soak 5-10 seconds then dump them out. No worries about rinsing. Then just spray some Starsan on plastic wrap to cover the tops in the meantime. Seems easiest and most reliable method to me. And you can reuse the StarSan for several batches and to sanitize all the rest of equipment too. Its expensive at first, but if you buy the 32oz bottle for $15 it will last you for years!

Cool, sounds good. I've always been reluctant to use a no-rinse sanitizer, I usually only use iodophor for the bigger stuff, fermenters, etc, but I'll give it a go with the bottles...

:mug:

Back