5L mini-keg 6-8 refills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daftdraft

Reaction score
I want to get some 5L kegs that are refillable for easy storage, but I have read that they are only good for 6-8 refills.

Is it really necessary to change them out every 6-8 refills?

It depends on how you store and use them. For one, they don't hold as much pressure as a corny (max 10-15 PSI I believe), so you have to be careful not to bulge them. Second, depending on how much moisture is in the air where you store them, you're likely to see some rust on the seams. The last, and probably most important, is cleaning the inside. Since they're a softer metal, make sure you use a good soft brush to get all the nooks and crannies without causing scratches that will promote bacterial growth. I believe they have some kind of coating on the interior that wears down after so long, not sure though.

I say use them till they get rusty, misshaped, or the beer taste funny (They're not overly expensive).

When I started Homebrewing I used these exclusively. I view these as a good lesson on how to keg. I now have been Kegging for the past three years and have a whole set up sitting in my basement. Anyone wanting them shoot me an offer and I would be will to let them go.

No reasonable offer refused and in fact if you pay shipping and buy me a beer someday I would let them go. I think I have 10 - 12 of them and this includeds the pressure release bungs and tap.

TD

I have 6 myself I need to post on classifieds here; as well as the Avanti Mini-Pub. Just got two more conies to put me up to five. I was holding onto them because they are great for taking over to a friends house etc (I would borrow the CO2 adapter from the Mini-Pub and a keg or two- worked great!)

This was refill #8:

IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

R.I.P. little buddy

That's a disturbing image. Do you think you over-carbed, or had it just met it's limit in terms of reasonable use? I was quite excited at the prospect of these little guys, but not if it's going to risk a big portion of my brew.

When I started Homebrewing I used these exclusively. I view these as a good lesson on how to keg. I now have been Kegging for the past three years and have a whole set up sitting in my basement. Anyone wanting them shoot me an offer and I would be will to let them go.

No reasonable offer refused and in fact if you pay shipping and buy me a beer someday I would let them go. I think I have 10 - 12 of them and this includeds the pressure release bungs and tap.

TD
I'm been wanting to brew at home for a long time and finally have the time. There was mention of mini kegs willing to be let go. I'm interested if you still have them. That's the best route for me since I can't crack just one beer! Let me know, thanks.

Back